Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:10 pm
Well everyone's being very quiet about what they got up to so thought I'd kick off a thread...

...rode up to Boroughbridge for the Brigante veterans race (last vets race of the year for me), seven laps of the well-worn Aldborough circuit giving just over 50miles for the A/B group. The sun shone, amazingly, although there was a fresh and chilly breeze. I was the only representative of the Clifton elderly gentlefolk's team, although local lad Nigel Warnes was also there, riding in Cycleworks colours.

It was a fast race (for old blokes) at around 25mph average. I had a couple of goes at getting away, but failed, and was sitting happily near but-not-quite-near-enough to the front of the bunch when a group of four got away after three laps and convincingly cleared off. There was no collective will to drag them back so a string of attacks kept things moving for the remainder of the race. I was feeling up for a big last-lap effort until about halfway round the last-but-one lap when I got cramps in my thighs, the like of which I've never experienced before. It wasn't just the big muscle but the individual ones just over the knee and up near where the sun don't shine too. So, I spent a further lap desperately juggling attempts at stretching with sprinting back onto the tail of the bunch, until I found a rather ungainly half-crouch which enabled me to "sprint" sufficiently to cross the line somewhere in the middle of the bunch (but still in front of Nigel :D )

The winner of the A/B race was wearing an LVRC national champion's jersey, so that made things feel a bit better... (until the ride home, anyway).

by MarkA Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm
Enjoyed my first road ride with Clifton members for quite a while on Sat

I think we were 15 strong as we headed briskly out of town?

Plenty of strong riding on the hills

In fact not the easiest day to pick for your first ride so i thought Chris showed great determination to complete 60 miles by the time we got home

Plenty of teeth gritting, second only to John O'Donnells ride in the Tan Hill the week before

Great stuff chaps

by Willy H Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:19 am
Willy's wheels (but not Wilier's wheels) went into North into Northumbria...read about it in the 'Northumberland Ride Sep 22-23' topic on these discussion pages below...

by Iain M Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:20 am
On Saturday, I did the Leicester Forest CC "10" on A10/11, near Seagrave in Leicestershire. No PB, but a good workout.

by steph Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:53 am
Simon W and I rode a leisurely 100 miles into the Moors up to Blakey Ridge and Rosedale on a glorious Saturday. First 100 for Simon and an all time record number of cafe and food stops for me, 6 I think. 8)

by Tullio Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:54 am
Took off with the family Saturday and Sunday for some camping and cycling in the Dales. Camped in Kettlewell and rode over to Malham to see the Trailquesters in action at the Malham event (Andy S was 4th in Cat and Steph was 3rd lady).

Headed back from Malham over past the Tarn through Arncliffe which has got to be one of the most picturesque roads in the Dales.

Monday headed up to Newtondale Forest where a few of us competed in Round 9 of the NYMBO League. Great weather and great location with a choice of open moor or forest sections to compete in.

At last a weekend that felt vaguely like summer!

by IanH Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:57 pm
I did my annual Bank holiday C2C ride from Workington to Tynemouth over 3 days with 2 mates who don't cycle very often as usual plenty of pub stops etc and nice steady cycling for me, and in the Wetherspoons pub on the Quayside I bumped into Willy H who had been doing a recci of the 2 day ride he is planning for the club.

by Arthur Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:05 pm
I rode Le Vercors-Drome cyclosportif. I did the 142 km version (with 2,500m of climbing) in 4 hrs 55. The winner took 4 hrs 05. Excellent day out.

by Rob Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:59 pm
Been away on family holiday in Pembrokeshire for the last 2 weeks. Got the road bike out for 1-2 hours before breakfast on most mornings. Its very pretty down there - a bit like a quiet version of Cornwall. Tiny roads and some cracking climbing. The coast roads are frustratingly 200m from the cliff tops leaving fleeting and tantilising views of the rocks and sandy beaches. The cycling's nice, but in fairness the walking's better.

by Rob Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:59 pm
Been away on family holiday in Pembrokeshire for the last 2 weeks. Got the road bike out for 1-2 hours before breakfast on most mornings. Its very pretty down there - a bit like a quiet version of Cornwall. Tiny roads and some cracking climbing. The coast roads are frustratingly 200m from the cliff tops leaving fleeting and tantilising views of the rocks and sandy beaches. The cycling's nice, but in fairness the walking's better.

by charlie Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:17 pm
Glad to hear someone else has discovered Pembrokeshire. I must spend over a month in total each year down there. What a place...