Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Arthur Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 pm
We've received the following from the local Green Party which it seemed relevant to pass on:
You might like to consider signing this petition...
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/noA1237dualling/

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to look at alternative
solutions to dualling the A1237 ring road around York. Although dualling
may temporarily ease congestion on the ring road, the dualling would also
unleash suppressed demand, so increasing the number of vehicle journeys
along it. The millions of pounds required for such a project could be used
instead to invest funds in public transport to help reduce congestion on the
current ring road."

Regards - Dave.

Dave Taylor
Green Party Councillor for Fishergate
26 New Walk Terrace
York YO10 4BG
01904 658443

by fatsprinter Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:06 pm
As long as the funds for public transport don't fund any more of those really really long scary buses. They scare the pants off me when they overtake me on the bike. It's like the old comedy sketch with the ladder going by the window and seeming to never stop - except not funny with those buses!!

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Dr Dave Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 pm
'the dualling would also unleash suppressed demand'

This statement is pure speculation with no evidence to back it up whatsoever. The North Ring Road is a complete disaster - it should have been dualled when first built.

Sometimes building more roads isn't the answer, but sometimes increasing capacity is necessary. I suggest that this may well be one of those times.

by Arthur Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 am
If you really want, I'll point you at the relevant academic papers that show that increased capacity = more traffic.

You may argue that that's a good thing, but you can't say it's not true.

Arthur (ex-traffic modeller).

by Tullio Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:37 am
I think the real disaster of the southern ring road was to turn the road into 1 huge shopping complex/ind estate. Ring roads are supposed to divert traffic away from the centre and give people, who don't need to go through York, the option to go round. Now they just get clogged up with all the shopaholics.

Arthur, apologies if you were the bright spark who thought that one up..but I doubt it.

by Dr Dave Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:07 am
Arthur wrote:If you really want, I'll point you at the relevant academic papers that show that increased capacity = more traffic.

You may argue that that's a good thing, but you can't say it's not true.

Arthur (ex-traffic modeller).

In general this may be the case (but even then short of re-running time but without the additional road building it isn't possible to say what might otherwise have happened as the populace became more affluent) but in the specific case of the ring road I'm not sure.

It could be that if the ring road wasn't a perpetual queue more traffic would use it instead of going through town. Dualling might just reduce traffic in town which would suit us cyclists just fine.

by Arthur Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:30 pm
Sadly, as Paul says, it'll just encourage more out of town development, which in turn encourages car use (as you can't get to it any other way).

by A Atkin Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:02 pm
Maybe I've missed something, but isn't dualling against the law?

by fatsprinter Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:28 pm
A few interesting things spring to mind. And these come from someone who is both a car driver and a cyclist.

“Relevant Academic Papers”. These are papers, right? Not actual evidence? As with most academic papers, they can be argued and evidence found and use to back up the hypothesis. Some academics have argued such things as the holocaust never happening. As for the traffic modelling, are these models just that? Models? I have a questioning mind, so it would be interesting to read the academic papers and see what evidence the papers are based on. Just as a passing off the cuff remark, I have met many academics who have no concept of reality and common sense, although this certainly does not account for all of them. Oh and the saying “Lies, damn lies and statistics”. I know, I work with them and my statistic prove that my results are excellent this year!!

"Unleash suppressed demand is also interesting". My logic (and common sense) would suggest that it would merely divert traffic from other more congested areas. As a car user and cyclist, I know many rat runs, short cuts and what routes to take and not to take at specific times in York. I never use the ring road as it is so congested and instead weave my way through town. I’m sure the ring road would ease town congestion and divert traffic to the dual ring road.

This would have many benefits. It would cut pollution as when cars are moving, they emit fewer emissions and use fewer resources. My car does over 50mpg when moving. When it is stationary or moving slowly in heavy traffic, it can be down to less than 20mpg. If there are fewer cars in town, more people would be encouraged to use bicycles and public transport would flow quicker. Which is the main problem with public transport. It goes round the houses and still has to sit in traffic so it takes a really long time. You can’t take your DIY stuff back on the bus either. And another thing, the last time I went to London on the train for a training course, it was over £160. If four people went, you could almost buy a car for the total amount and fuel would only cost £40 for the journey. It doesn’t really encourage use of the public transport system.

Cyclists are scared of traffic, so by easing town congestion, more people would be encouraged to cycle. Incidentally, there does seem to be a large increase of cyclists recently, so long may that continue.

Building of roads is not always the answer to easing congestion, but sometimes it must be. Logic and common sense surely point the way to dualling of the ring road to be a good idea for all the reasons aforementioned.

On another slightly connected note, I’m sorry to say that the government are not going to take a blind bit of notice of the petition. They never have yet!!

It seems that in this country the type of government system does not encourage cooperation for the common good.

“The millions of pounds required for such a project could be used
instead to invest funds in public transport to help reduce congestion on the
current ring road.”

What could actually be done to easy congestion with public transport? People who use cars, generally use cars and wouldn’t be seen dead on public transport, they would rather cycle instead. I can’t see what could be done. Maybe more, longer buses. Tadcaster road could be one long bus. But then get a couple of the big ones head to toe and they would fill Tadcaster road. Perhaps a conveyer belt would be best, like they have in airports.

I don’t really trust traffic planners to plan cycling facilities properly anyway. I’ve seen some really silly cycle paths. Hasn’t anyone been to the Netherlands (Holland as it is widely, but incorrectly known. Holland is just a small number of provinces and the whole country should be referred to as Nederland – or the Netherlands.) to see how it should be done.

Perhaps it is best to look at both sides of the argument before rushing to say “no” to the dualling and to perhaps walk a mile in another mans shoes. We do rely on cars heavily. I use a car to get to races as well as the commissaires using them in the races. I also use mine to get me to Dalby forest. Can you imagine taking a mountain bike on a bus or a train? Oo, sir, you’ve got to book that on three months in advance and have a special ticket and if the train is too full on the day, you can’t come on.

Is there a corresponding petition in favour of dualling? That would be interesting and would actually give a fairer indication of public opinion. The people who are against dualling would not amount to many in relation to the total number of York residents, so would one assume that those who did not sign are in favour? It would be interesting to get the stats on those pro and those against, but since the government will ignore it anyway, what’s the point.

And anyway, if we don’t build more dual carriageways, how will time triallists have anywhere new to ride?:wink:

As part of the design process, a really fast 10 course could be built. :lol:

Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:41 pm
Okay okay, I've cracked and risen to the bait!!

Agree with some and disagree with some more in there, Col. Supposed to be working so keeping it brief - just want to put counters to a couple of points you made...

"Unleashing suppressed demand" - the basic premis is that traffic jams effectively decrease the number of car journeys made, as people can't be arsed to get the car out because they know it'll take ages to get to a local destination - and walking, cycling or public transport will be quicker. That certainly fits with my understanding of human nature, so it sounds a valid argument.

People who use cars *can* be persuaded out of them and will use a variety of alternatives, including both public transport and cycling. Look at what Red Ken's done in London in respect of increases in both bus use and cycling.

Bikes on trains - I use it as a way of getting around on a regular basis. I've never yet booked a bike on a train and have only once (in about 3 years) been turned away from a particular train. And it's free!

Lastly.. costs for long journeys. Yes, buy a ticket to London on the day and it's a fortune. Book in advance and it's cheap - I'm off to London on Friday for 25 quid return. And the real cost of driving isn't just petrol - work out the real cost on the basis of even a conservative mileage rate and it's a hell of a lot more than £40. Plus stress. Plus time.

I'm not anti-car; I just think as a society we should be more choosy about when we use them. And I agree that the government doesn't do nearly enough to encourage other means of transport - which is why they'll miss their 2010 and 2020 climate-change targets by a country mile!

by Arthur Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:41 pm
“Relevant Academic Papers”. These are papers, right? Not actual evidence? As

So, what would you consider evidence if not a carefully done study?

by fatsprinter Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm
All good arguements and I would happily be convinced or persuaded otherwise. But I see people sitting in traffic jams. There are still jams, so that argument surely cannot work, as it would resolve the situation by the argument alone. Unfortunately my trip to London was a last minute thing, so I got heavily penalised for that. Oh, I am a great train fan - not a spotter or anything like that, but my dad never had a car as he worked on the railways all of his life and I loved traveling everywhere by train. But I can see the advantages and disadvantages. I haven't tried traveling with bike on train recently as when I used to try in my student days it was such a hardship. I'm glad if it is better. I'll have to give it a go.

Still, in balance, I can't help thinking that if the ring road was dualled traffic would flow better, congestion eased in the town centre and more people would cycle and it would be a positive cycle of improvements as the more people cycle, more would see the benefit, more cars off the road which would mean more people would cycle etc. (what is the opposite of a vicious circle?).

Someone somewhere, I'm sure, (but I will apologise in advance for advanced ignorance) did a study and said it would be a good idea to knock down the walls in York to let nice big double decker buses pass through. Criminal. As a non-native Yorkie, this was a shock when I found out.

Phil - you are working. What are you doing checking this at work anyway? Don't do it!! You too Arthur. And where were you last night? I get good legs and you're no-where to be found!!

Schaarf!!

by Arthur Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:02 pm
After a quick hunt, the article I wanted was from the TRL, which has now been privatised and so charges for it's articles. If you are really interested, I'll send you a copy of some other relevant stuff.

What's really wanted is this:

"Trunk Roads and the Generation of Traffic"
Standing Advisory Committe on Trunk Road Assessement, 1994
HMSO

Until that document, official policy was to assume that any generated traffic was negligible, which is not now the case.

by Dr Dave Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 pm
I still maintain that each scheme has to be taken on it's merits instead of a knee-jerk reply depending on whether you are broadly pro or anti roads.

In the case of the ring road I cannot but feel that anything has to be better than the dog's breakfast that currently exists and know from my own experience that when I do need to drive I go through town rather than use the ring road. Doubtless others do likewise.

by Tullio Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:46 pm
A friend and I had the solution whilst stuck on it a while back.

I quizzed why they hadn't dualled it from day 1 and he said it was because the bridge crossings were designed for single carriageway.

Solution = dual everything except the bridges. Make speed limit 40mph, except the narrow bridges where 80mph needs to be the min speed.

Solved.