Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm
Do you need rack mounts on the frame to fit a rear rack suitable for panniers? I'd like to do LEJOG next year and I don't want to have buy a new bike so I can fit panniers. If they can be fitted to a standard road frame does anyone have any recommendations for a rack and or panniers?

by paulM Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:55 pm
How long will you be away for???

Several of us in the club have very large saddlebags and saddlebag supports that clamp to the saddle so would be ideal for a lightweight bike. I would be happy to lend you my ensemble as I rarely get chance to use it.
I'm sure there are also plenty of Clifton people who can advise you on what / what not to take?

But to answer your question - if you do take heavy panniers I wouldn't recomend using clips to attach a back rack to your stays as invariable the rack will slide down the frame. And yes I've had it happen. But if you have m/guard eyes you can bolt a back rack through these aswell as mudguards.

by Rob Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:41 am
BW,

Unless you're camping there's no need for rear panniers. I recommend spending some time minimising the weight of your entire kit! To focus your mind just think of that N Cornwall coast road!

As Paul says, you cannot beat a Carridice Nelson Long Flap saddlebag for this sort of thing. Carridice do a nice support but there are others - look in the back of the CTC magazine. Its a great investment and will last decades. If you can't get it all in there then I'd suggest looking at front low rider panniers - they are smaller than rear panniers and add stability to the bike. To fit these you obviously need a low rider rack. The rack fits either to a four point brazing system, which you can achieve by swapping just forks, or natty clips around the forks plus ultilisation of the mudguard eyes.

Me and Claire did a 4 week tour of NZ a few years ago with the kit for 2 in just two small front panniers plus 2 Carridice Nelsons...and there was room to spare.

I rode LEJOG with Nick in 89 - fantastic tour, thoroughly recommended.

by Willy H Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:16 pm
More info on turning road bike into a mule:

Topeak do a light-weight carrier bar clamped to the seat post, with a selection of bags to go with it, some with central compartment and quite big left/right pannier compartments.
I got one and it is very useful.
Only don't fit one to carbon fibre seat posts.

by Arthur Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:21 pm
BW - is this your carbon trek? If so, don't go for anything that clamps to the frame. If it's for another bike, you can fit a rack with p-clips and this works fine for light loads.

Otherwise either a rack mount post or a carradadice would work with an alloy seatpost. There'll be no real difference in the amount you can carry as you can't put much weight on a seat post mounted rack anyway.

by BroomWagon Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:19 pm
Thanks for the advice guys.

How long do I intend to be away, I thought a little less than 44hrs 4mins and 20sec. Some bloke called Gethin Butler did it in about that so surely I can :wink: . Failing that I'm hoping to take about 7 days (staying in B&Bs overnight) which equates to about 125miles a day - I'm sure I'd have no bother on the first day, but by the time I get to the 7th I might be asking a bit much.

I've seen these Carridice Nelsons on Audax rides. I think I'll probably need 3 sets of cycling gear, plus travel wash, T-shirt, Trousers, Sandals, underpants and various bits n bobs (I'd like to take a Tale of Two Cities, but thinking about the N Cornish coast road, maybe not). Will I get that lot in one of these bags? Paul I'd probably take you up on the offer, we'll have a chat nearer the time.

I have to laugh at myself a bit because when I first got into cycling I'd have had my fingernails pulled out without anesthetic than have anything on my bike which made me look like a tourer. Suppose age and experience tells me now that just because a chap's got a Carridice Nelson on his bike doesn't mean he won't effortlessly disappear up the first climb never to be seen again even though you're on your super duper carbon fibre race job.

Arthur I won't be taking the Trek, the bike I use will probably be 7005 Ali with mudguard eyes.

Rob, we'll have to have a chat on a club run sometime (though with work and family commitments cycling is a purely vicarious hobby for me at the moment), re your experiences, what to take, routes, accommodation etc.

by paulM Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:59 pm
Steve - you will get that little lot in the side pockets!

I started off touring and that led to joining a club and racing. I go at the same speed - just on a lighter bike!

by Rob Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:47 am
Sounds like you've got your head around this Steve. You'll definitely get your kit in a saddle bag. What I do is lay it all out on the bed then challenge everything in turn, starting with the heaviest items. Eg - do you really need sandles? - Look at some SPDs? Three lots of cycling kit? - How about 2? (One to wear, one "in the wash")?............... do I really need a handle on my toothbrush? Do I really need these labels in my clothes? I'm sure I can drill another hole in this tyre lever...........