Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Willy H Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 am
I'm thinking of organising a 2-day ride heading North into Northumberland, leaving Saturday morning and returning Sunday evening by GNER train, maybe from Berwick-on-Tweed, maybe Newcastle.

The distances would probably be similar to a normal hostelling weekend, but with the added attraction of heading out into new beatifully scenic territiories, and a 120+ mph snooze on the return trip.

Overnight would be Youth Hostel, with a choice of several. If there is interest we could choose either mid-ish September or end October. In any case the ride would be additional to the normal Clifton hostelling ride early October.

Expressions of interest either via these pages or by txt to WillyMob: 0797 4867301

by Arthur Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:06 am
I'd be interested. One problem is that there's a limit on how many bikes you can book on a train, and it's not a lot. I think it's four on a gner, rather less on a virgin.

Sadly it might be both easier and cheaper to drive out en-masse to, say, Barnard Castle and ride to/from there. I'd also be up for that.

by Dave B Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:31 am
The following might be of help re. bikes on trains;

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

5 bikes max. (or 2 tandems) on GNER; AtoB claim some of the electric services can take 6, but best to check with York station travel centre first, I reckon. A bit of advance planning, as well as securing bike reservations before they're snapped up, should allow you to go for some cheaper ticket options too.
Virgin is indeed 4 bikes max, but I often find that the securing straps for their cycle racks are broken (meaning the bike tends to swing about whilst hanging off the ceiling hook by the front wheel!). The other annoying aspect of using Virgin is the carriage cleaners' tendency to use the bike compartment as a dumping ground for full refuse sacks :x

Dave B

by Willy H Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 pm
Sunday train times from Berwick give 4 departures straight to York between 17.13 and 21.46, at 5 spaces per train this gives a strictly theoretical max of 20 riders. But I think up to 10 would be a good group.

If we choose to loop round to Newcastle there'll be even more frequent train departures.

A really good hostel option would be Edmundbyers near Beamish, on the C2C route I think. Spoke with the warden who says it's a great cycling hostel. See www.yha.org.uk for hostel details.

by like my bike Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 pm
Im would be interested depending on date

A J

by Willy H Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:46 pm
Possible dates could be: w/e Sep 22/23...Sep 29/30...Oct 29/30.

All these are all clear of significant activity in the Clifton Diary and a few weeks distant from the regular Clifton hostelling ride, for which I herewith sign-up.

So far we have 3 interested. If more can, and the date choice is made I'll arrange beds for the night asap.

In any case I'll be reconnoitring good routes in these unknown to me lands beyond latitude 54o 33' 11", ie Barnard Castle.

Route suggestions are welcomed.

by Helen Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm
Willie

Nick and I would be interested but would have to check if my parents can look after the children.I would prefer late to early september

Helen

by Willy H Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 pm
There is good interest in the ride North and a booking has now been made for up to 6 men and 3 women Cliftonites at Edmundbyers YHA for the Saturday night. This is a 17th Century former inn with, I quote, 'a cosy open fire, exposed beams, in an area of outstanding natural beauty close to the Coast to Coast route'. There's also trout fishing if you feel that way inclined, making it a must for Keith!

Riding distance on Saturday from York is region 75-85 miles, easy up to Richmond, then a over moorland. The following morning we'd head for Hexham and Hadrian's wall, then on to maybe Berwick or Alnmouth depending on my route reconnoitring in the next few weeks. Then late Sunday train back direct to York.

The date booked is September 22/23 and the ride will open up new riding territory in fabulous Northumberland scenery. Already interested are Helen, Nick,Arthur,James,Rob? and self. Numbers will be limited to 9 in total, so a good plan is to get your name in early!