Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by stevesavage Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:48 pm
Apparently there was some obscure time trial in France today but the really important event was the Scarborough Paragon 10 (incorporating the Clifton 10 mile championship). Conditions were sunny but breezy with a good tailwind on the homeward leg.

Congratulations to Nigel who won in 24:08. Congratulations also to Arny who took 3rd place in the Vets with 27:52. Other results were Cath (28:58), Iain (26:15), Paul (25:03) and me (24:35).

The overall winner was Carl Saint (21:57).

by Rob Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:00 am
Well done guys, good to see a big turnout.

Can report a classic clubrun yesterday taking in some good lanes with a cafe at Helmesley. Good company and a consistent pace got us back in York by 2... and we didn't get wet!

How did the Saturday clubrun go?
Was anybody racing on Sunday?

by steph Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 am
Headed down to Sherwood Pines near Nottingham for a mountain bike skills course. Pretty interesting stuff about cornering etc. By the end of the day Simon was descending with only the front wheel on the ground -- apparently this is a useful skill :?

Inexpensive, high quality and not far from York. Good for honing basic skills and Sherwood Pines is a great place for a ride.
http://www.aquickrelease.com/

by Arthur Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:48 am
Saturday clubrun: myself, Ian H and Jonty headed out with Simon and Tony G towards B'bridge/Knaresborough. Pleasant ride with no drama. I headed off for the last hour and everyone else arrived back in York with about 50 miles on the clock.

by like my bike Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:24 am
Halifax Road Race, Sunday, Sunny and breezy, 13 laps of a mostly flat circuit, lost of attacks in the early stages eventually four riders got away and stayed away (how do they do that?) :? The rest of us stuck together in the final sprint for the line managed 15th I think! Looking forward to Tan Hill 19th as I missed Richmond.

A J

by mal Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:47 pm
Went out with my old, now ex-pat, school mate for a steady ride round our youthful cycling haunts of Wetherby, Harrogate, Knaresborough etc., to which he hadn't been for about 40 years. Nice tail wind on the return trip nudged us up to an easy 22/23 mph, only to have our delight destroyed by Arthur flying past on his way home. 75 miles of reminiscing and a very pleasant way to spend a day.

by Kit Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:06 pm
I rode the White Knight RR at Dinnington. 18 laps of a flat and increasingly windy circuit. I missed the break of 9 which contained four former national champions who went on to finish in the top four places (Russ Downing, Chris Newton, Malcolm Elliott and Wayne Randle). I escaped the bunch together with Graham Briggs (Recycling) with just over four laps remaining and held off a chase group of six including Rob Sharman and Mark Wordsworth; one from the original break was dropped and caught by us and I was easily beaten in the sprint for 9th thereby just scraping into the top ten.
Paul M was also in attendance, finishing position unknown.

by paulM Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:26 pm
Yes I was there and took a far from comfortable bunch finish. However as Kit has already mentioned it was a fast race on a windy day and a very high quality field. I have a long history of being dropped on this circuit so am far from disappointed. After three increasingly difficult Elite races I have a 2/3 race at Morpeth next Sunday and will be disappointed not to come away with a result. Must get some new bar tape though - the old stuff is covered in teeth marks!
Oh yes and on Saturday I did the "10" at Burton Fleming but the less said about that the better - no prizes for guessing which of the two rides gave the most satisfaction!!