Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:25 am
Well, I was away visiting new niece in Kent and did absolutely zilch on the bike. What were the rest of you up to? Clubruns? Cycleworks RR?

by mal Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:47 am
Etape update. I'm back from France, having just managed to get my tyres unstuck from the Peyresourde black molasses before the big boys go through later today. Martin, it was me at the end and the only reason I didn't have the esteemed team shirt on was that the bloody thing disintegrated a few days before the event. It was an amazingly enjoyable, yes enjoyable, day spoiled only by some leg problems (significantly more painful than the usual aches and pains), which slowed me down considerably from half way up Bales to the end. A French jobsworth with a big clock on his car apparently tried to tell me I had to wait for some bus or other but I thought b******s to that and continued on to the end - think I clocked about 12:25 in total (actual riding time was well under 11 hours - but that's another story).

I'd just like to say thank you to all the club run riders with whom I've done much of the prep for this - keeping up with you was the best foundation I could have wanted. And to Willy, Keith, both of whom I managed to chat with at some point or other, and Martin well done!

by Arthur Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:01 pm
Four of us headed out on Saturday morning for a ride round Castle Howard way. Nice ride and even the weather wasn't too bad for once!

by Kit Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:59 pm
York Cycleworks Race - tried everything to get into the winning break but failed, and finished 12th. Best Clifton turnout I've seen this season with both Pauls (M and B) finishing just outside the points. Also Andy J rode the 3/4 race, result unknown.

by paulM Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:55 pm
I think I must have been 21st!
Great race as are most Elite races. Saw Wayne Randle go away with a small group with a lap to go and should have gone with it as the bunch just rode steady up to Crayke. Paul B made a brave move on the last lap going clear with a couple of riders but was caught at the bottom of Yearsley Bank. I think I went up Yearsley quicker than I used to in our hill Climbs but glad I only had to do it the once!
Great ride by Kit (despite "only" taking 12th) to stay clear of a fast moving bunch.
So thats 3 Clifton riders finishing in the top half of an Elite field in the top race in the UK yesterday. There were maybe only a couple of "teams" at that event that actually bettered that.

by SteveWood Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:46 am
I also rode the Cycle works RR in the 3/4 cat. Found it quite a tough race, so just happy to cling on to the main bunch.

by Iain M Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:29 am
On Sunday, I rode in the LVRC Elswick #2 RR - 7 laps (50 miles) on a flatish circuit in the lanes around Elswick, Roseacre, Wharles, and Inskip (near Preston). I saw a break go in the first lap and, perhaps foolishly, bridged over to it. We stayed away for about half a lap, by which time I was pretty fried and couldn't get back onto the bunch when they cruised past. I sat up, recovered, TTed a bit, and then got onto the back of the D/E/F/G race and finished with that bunch.

by Rob Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:19 pm
Its rarely foolish to have a go Iain!

by like my bike Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:02 pm
York Cycleworks Race 3/4 cats managed a couple of breaks but nothing that stuck, to riders got away on the last lap and stayed away until finish. Had a good position at the start of Yearsley climb but faded 50 metres from finish, finished in top 20.

A J