Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon May 08, 2006 1:42 pm
Team,

Lots going on - how did you get on?

I've heard that Paul Bridgen got 6th in a RR over in Lancashire - race long break of 7.

How was the Fred Whitton?

YH weekend was great - good roads, good company, good weather, good beer.... 8)

What else were you riding?

by BroomWagon Mon May 08, 2006 8:14 pm
Here's a laugh, I did the Great Selby Bike Ride, a 45mile charity event. It's not a race! And that's what I kept telling myself as I stuggled to hold on in the lead group which never slowed to less than 22mph and in the attacks that kept going off at 28mph and whilst we contested the bunch sprint at the end and whilst people kept hitting the deck all over the place on the bends on expensive carbon fibre bikes in the atrocious wet conditions. Sad, I know, but tremendous fun and after that, next year I'm going to do something easier and less dangerous: road racing :wink:

by Dave B Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 am
Great Selby Bike Ride 'not a race'? The one time I did it, a fair-sized group from Featherstone CC seemed to have other ideas....

Dave

by Arthur Wed May 10, 2006 8:45 am
I had a cold for the Fred Whitton and so didn't finish (still got 68 miles in riding back to pack!). Steve went round in 7:40ish I think after waiting for me at the start.

Weather wasn't as bad as it might have been; wet, slippy in places but it cleared up later on.

by stevesavage Wed May 10, 2006 10:45 am
7.37 actually which was only 5 minutes slower than last year so I was well pleased. Conditions weren't great but not as bad as I feared. The descent off Honistor was very greasy and there were a couple of nasty crashes down there. I got caught by a heavy shower on Hardknott and the descent was like a river! Bumped into Chris Bandy at the Gosforth feed.
Looking forward to doing it again in July but hopefully at a more leisurely pace and with a couple of cafe stops!

by Rob Wed May 10, 2006 12:12 pm
The July version, for all of you who are interested, will be on Sun 2nd. This ride will be a simple clubrun, and yes a 2 Cafe strategy will be the order of the day... We picked this date as many of you will be over that way anyway for the Border City Wh Hilly the day before - part of the Clifton Open TT series. Should make a great weekend!