Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 pm
I thought I would pen a few words on Saturdays Richmond Colomba Chemo Classic 100k. Whilst not a fan of sportives this one is a bit special in my book. Being at the back end of the year, over challenging but spectacular Dales terrain and always with dodgy weather it tends to only attract hardened enthusiasts. You can tell this as over 95% of riders sport mudguards and lights, essential at this time of the year in my book.

Two Cliftonites 'flew the flag' for the club, myself and Oliver Liptrott. The organisers were keen to get people on their way as the weather forecast was not good with heavy rain forecast for mid day. Having checked in with the time keeper, (all computerised) I sallied forth at 07.57am in bright sunshine but with a nithering headwind. Trying to find a group to ride with and share the load proved impossible, they were either just a bit too slow or a bit too quick, ( mostly the latter!). Anyway over to Leyburn, Middleham then the long hard drag up Coverdale and Park Rash in a draining biting headwind with rain threatening all the time. At least it wasn't snowing like last year!

By the time we had dropped down into Kettlewell and headed up Wharfedale the wind was for once a taily which helped the grind up Kidstones, followed by a good fast descent into Wensleydale. The feed sation at Thoralby was tempting but I was feeling good and with enough food and drink on board the Lynskey I decided to press on and try and beat the weather. Through Aysgarth where the falls were in full spate and most spectacular followed by a good spin to Redmire before the long slog up on to the top of Grinton moor, rewarded by the fast downhill section to Grinton. Not many people about, unlike Le Tour weekend and Cote de Grinton Moor! By this time the skies were darkening and the rain falling, not enough to put a rain cape on with only 10 miles to go, but enough to want to get to the finish sharpish!

By the time I had returned to Richmond the rain was pouring and the cold wind was being very lazy, going through you rather than round you. After a quick bit of grass tracking to get to the club house and check in with the time keeper my time was recorded as 4hrs 37 mins. For me a PR and placing me 88th out of 385. Oliver came in with a very respectable time of 5hrs 7 mins. Good effort Oliver! The complimentary hot pork pie, baked potato and beans were wolfed down with gusto!

So there we have it. One of the best local events in my book. Cheap to enter at only £15, all in a good cause and with less than 400 riders, a very friendly and highly organised event. A nice way to sign the year off too.

Next for year anyone? :wink:

Cheers David