Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by stevesavage Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:04 pm
I was up at the crack of dawn this morning to ride the Zeus CRT 25 near Ponteland. On a rather lumpy course I managed 1:1:02 so getting closer to that elusive hour. Think I got 4th overall. Now I'm looking forward to an afternoon lying on the sofa watching the pros suffer over those hills!

Must say what a great success the Prologue was on Friday in spite of the weather. Thanks to everyone involved. Hope to see some new riders at the next Spoco event on Thursday.

by PhilBixby Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:32 pm
Just back from another summer soaking at the Donny Wheelers Summer RR. 22 laps (still feeling dizzy) of a little triangular circuit giving 40 miles. A climb up through the finish line and three sharp corners made it really stop/start and hence hard work - 66 sprints made it more like a lengthy interval session than a race.

Despite a dry-ish start the heavens duly opened halfway through, and it lashed down. A spectator's dog caused a minor crash on one climb of the hill, and someone managed to sprint into the grass bank, but other than that everyone stayed the right way up and the bunch eventually pulled back an early break of two just about on the line.

Matt had a crack off the front of the bunch with a couple of laps to go but got brought back, but still had enough in the tank to get tenth in the sprint, and some more points to add to his collection. I finished in the bunch, and was happy enough with that given the number of second cats keeping the pace high!

by Tullio Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:58 am
8 of us headed off to Mabie and Dalbeattie Forests for a weekend of Mountain Biking.

Despite the forecast of, fairly substantial, rain we hardly saw any and Sunday was completely dry and developed into a warm, sunny day.

The riding was excellent with Dalbeattie having a very rocky, technical character and Mabie a little smaller and more singletrack. Simon got the weekend 'honours' being the only rider brave enough to ride 'The Slab', a 30 foot slab of rock approx 50% gradient down. I got the 'Turkey' award for proving trials riding on logs isn't my forte.

The accommodation on Saturday night was a unique bunkhouse right in the centre of Mabie forest with outdoor sauna, hot tub and showers. It also had some tipees and a 'roundhouse' which resembled a stoneage mudhut. The place also had no mains, water or sewerage so power cuts were common. Definitely worth re-visiting.

by Iain M Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:44 am
Well done on the TT result Steve! Early on Sunday morning, I did the Derby Mercury RC 25 on A25/16: 2 laps of an undulating circuit of country roads near Griffydam, Leicestershire. The conditions were quite tough, with heavy rain throughout. No PB but a good workout. At the start of my second lap, I passed Matt Bottrill at the start with 30-seconds- to-go. He quickly passed me, riding incredibly fast (for the conditions). Unsurprisingly, he won the event with a 56-something. The HQ was the Coalville Whs Club Hut: it had a somewhat hallowed retro atmosphere (seemingly unaltered for many years, apart from some A1 posters showing the club's current TT series results), with club photographs and memorabilia going back several decades.

by Rob Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:27 am
Iain M wrote:Well done on the TT result Steve! Early on Sunday morning, I did the Derby Mercury RC 25 on A25/16: 2 laps of an undulating circuit of country roads near Griffydam, Leicestershire. The conditions were quite tough, with heavy rain throughout. No PB but a good workout. At the start of my second lap, I passed Matt Bottrill at the start with 30-seconds- to-go. He quickly passed me, riding incredibly fast (for the conditions). Unsurprisingly, he won the event with a 56-something. The HQ was the Coalville Whs Club Hut: it had a somewhat hallowed retro atmosphere (seemingly unaltered for many years, apart from some A1 posters showing the club's current TT series results), with club photographs and memorabilia going back several decades.

I think their hut is actually owned by a member of Shawodywody (or however you spell it)....

Anyway - top ride Steve. And well done to Matt (Muzzy also got a point) - adds to the team rankings also.....

R

by charlie Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 pm
I did my first 12hr solo mtb race on saturday - The Bontrager 24/12 held in the Cotswolds. The course was slimey from the start, although did dry out a bit as the day progressed. It was basically a very hilly technical 14km loop with lots of off camber rooty single track. The course did involve a lot running, especially earlier on (and I suprised myself as I did actually run, rather than walk in this 12 hr event!)
As the race started at midday, it also meant that I was going to gain my FIRST EVER experience of mtb night riding (after nine hours in the saddle!).
My aim was to try and ride as evenly paced as the course would allow (which wasnt that even really). I guess I guaged the effort quite well, as I was able to ride the climbs even at the end of the race, when some team riders (i.e. 12 or 24 hr pairs or team of 4 doing relay) had long since been walking. However, things became a bit more serious and tactical in the event when about 4 hrs in, a few of the other established 12 solo support crews were concerned about who number 21 was, riding in 3rd place. After looking at my number board we realised it was me! I had been intending to have a break at this point but had to get straight back out. I had to keep pits to about 3 mins (change bottle, fill pockets, de clog bike, stretch, go), with my longest about 10 when we put the lights on and tried to de-crick my back! Crazy times (well Helen thought I was crazy...)
Because I hadnt ever ridden off road at night, I realised I had to get as much done whilst the conitions were drier and light. However, the night riding went well too (thanks to Nick S and Nick B for lending me some sunlight in a can!).
I got around to the finish of my 12th lap just before midnight, with the option of doing another lap (so long as you start your final lap before a cut off time that lap will count, therefore it could be a 13 hr race!). However, my back, my light batteries and not to mention my wife would not let me go around again! It would not have changed the final standings anyway.
I finished the day in 4th place, from around 80 solo men finshers and 100 on the start sheet. I dont know where I dropped to 4th, but I do know I couldnt have changed anything or done anymore. Considering my recent training, I consider this to be one of my finest results. I felt I was bike racing all day, not just surviving. What a day.
The real fun started when I got off the bike - that wasnt pretty...now I was surviving!
The event was filmed by the BBC for their Countryfile programme, due to be screened next Sunday. I dont know if I'm on it, but it'll certainly give you a taste of the event and conditions. The results and pics should be up on xcracer.com and joolze dymonds websites respectively. Keith Bontrager awarded me a nice pair of sunnies for 4th and I got my pic taken on the mens solo podium (well next to the podium, I'll be on it next year - just dont tell Helen I've said that!).

by Rob Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 pm
charlie wrote:I did my first 12hr solo mtb race on saturday - The Bontrager 24/12 held in the Cotswolds. The course was slimey from the start, although did dry out a bit as the day progressed. It was basically a very hilly technical 14km loop with lots of off camber rooty single track. The course did involve a lot running, especially earlier on (and I suprised myself as I did actually run, rather than walk in this 12 hr event!)
As the race started at midday, it also meant that I was going to gain my FIRST EVER experience of mtb night riding (after nine hours in the saddle!).
My aim was to try and ride as evenly paced as the course would allow (which wasnt that even really). I guess I guaged the effort quite well, as I was able to ride the climbs even at the end of the race, when some team riders (i.e. 12 or 24 hr pairs or team of 4 doing relay) had long since been walking. However, things became a bit more serious and tactical in the event when about 4 hrs in, a few of the other established 12 solo support crews were concerned about who number 21 was, riding in 3rd place. After looking at my number board we realised it was me! I had been intending to have a break at this point but had to get straight back out. I had to keep pits to about 3 mins (change bottle, fill pockets, de clog bike, stretch, go), with my longest about 10 when we put the lights on and tried to de-crick my back! Crazy times (well Helen thought I was crazy...)
Because I hadnt ever ridden off road at night, I realised I had to get as much done whilst the conitions were drier and light. However, the night riding went well too (thanks to Nick S and Nick B for lending me some sunlight in a can!).
I got around to the finish of my 12th lap just before midnight, with the option of doing another lap (so long as you start your final lap before a cut off time that lap will count, therefore it could be a 13 hr race!). However, my back, my light batteries and not to mention my wife would not let me go around again! It would not have changed the final standings anyway.
I finished the day in 4th place, from around 80 solo men finshers and 100 on the start sheet. I dont know where I dropped to 4th, but I do know I couldnt have changed anything or done anymore. Considering my recent training, I consider this to be one of my finest results. I felt I was bike racing all day, not just surviving. What a day.
The real fun started when I got off the bike - that wasnt pretty...now I was surviving!
The event was filmed by the BBC for their Countryfile programme, due to be screened next Sunday. I dont know if I'm on it, but it'll certainly give you a taste of the event and conditions. The results and pics should be up on xcracer.com and joolze dymonds websites respectively. Keith Bontrager awarded me a nice pair of sunnies for 4th and I got my pic taken on the mens solo podium (well next to the podium, I'll be on it next year - just dont tell Helen I've said that!).

Top drawer ride Charlie! Super stuff. There really is a world of difference between riding for 12 hours and competing for 12 hours. 8)

by paulM Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:42 pm
Charlie - congratulations - I presume you had today off work?
Just finishing would be an achievement so to stay competitive makes your ride all the more impressive. There is a sadistic pleasure in endurance events. I rate my one & only 12hr TT as my best performance against the clock but that was on smooth tarmac and didn't require any running!

My "1" point refered to at an earlier post was from the Mike Binks memorial race at Stokesely - 110km Elite race with no elite riders and only about 30 competitors! Felt really crap for the first few laps and myself and Paul Bridgen found ourselves in the wrong half of a split and looked to be out of contention early on. But some good work got our group back up to the leaders and a lap later I managed to get across to the lead group in Ingleby Greenhow and we stayed away as far as Battersby when the level crossing barriers came down! Had another spell away in a doomed break & then the winning break went without me. Eventually got into the chasing group with a lap to go and we stayed clear. It was still a quality field and a fast race with riders firing off the front all race. Misjudged the finish completely and lead the sprint out so was last in the group but still managed 16th which is actually 6 points because they give them away at this level. However they are national points from a NE event so don't help the regional points tally.
Paul B finished just outside the top 20 but we were both pleased to be involved in the race rather than just hanging on and we have the Cycleworks Elite race next Sunday which really will be an Elite field. I'm hoping to steal the win with local knowledge - I definately know that finish!

by Willy H Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:06 am
Done Etape, back at work now: am saving the story for next Cliftonite. Themes will probably be: ...Pyrenees...Perversion...Pain...Pleasure

by cath Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:27 am
Hmmm....Willy, I'm not sure I can allow 'perversion' in the cliftonite....well done though!

by Rob Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:40 am
Willy H wrote:Done Etape, back at work now: am saving the story for next Cliftonite. Themes will probably be: ...Pyrenees...Perversion...Pain...Pleasure

Any news of, or from, the rest of the Clifton contingent?

by Rob Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:54 am
I got the following email from Martin Land:

Just to let you know that there was a good bit of Clifton action on the Etape. I saw Willy on the descent of the Col de Port, then met up with Keith. We pushed on together one of the few sections of ‘flat’, between the momentous Col De Mente and the truly monstrous Col Du Port De Bales. On the drops, side by side, we pushed on a decent pace, (given the 120k already in our legs), pleased to ride past the medical tent (already busy) and Zone de Elimination. At one point I looked behind and saw about 30 riders mercilessly wheel sucking (as I’d certainly done earlier too). The Bales was cruel, with 19k of gradually rising narrow road, which around 5k from the top turned into liquid tar, not the sort of help needed at that stage!

I managed to complete it within the exclusion time (12 hours), but not by a long way (my time was 11hr 23mins) and that was without any punctures and what I thought were quick stops, but probably close to an hour at feeds, water etc. A friend who I went with had 4 punctures, one caused by another rider veering across to go under a hosepipe, pushing Tom straight into a wall in the process! At the finish, tucking into the obligatory pasta another cliftonite appeared (didn’t get his name, but sporting a black Assos top).

It was a quite incredible day, which I found really tested my endurance, but a good triple with 27 on the back was well used to, very slowly, grind away those 5 cols. As a relative newcomer to this game, I’d set my sights on the Etape as my 40th birthday present (maybe a beach trip would’ve sufficed) and trained with this one goal from December onwards and am just pleased and relieved to have done it. The organisation was excellent, scenery breathtaking and support from people in villages and farmsteads amazing.

Hope others have good reports too.

Yours.

Martin.

by Willy H Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:26 pm
I have wasted no time signing-up for next year's edition, it's that sort of very special event. But it would be nice to have fewer than FIVE b-----d climbs in the day, this was somewhat of a test of resolve.

Actually I found it ultimately less taxing than last year at l'Alpe d'Huez, probably due to my decision this year to use performance enhancing substances, which I hasten to clarify consisted solely of lemon flavour Isostar re-hydration and Isostar anti-cramp pillules.

The last were valuable, as it kept me from seizing-up during the return 3 hour drive back to starting place FOIX and the 210 kms drive the following morning at 5am to Pau Aeroport.

Saw both Keith and Malcolm on the Port de Bales climb, at that moment euphoria was still several hours away and the liquid tarmac was yet to be encountered. Crossing that gave a new meaning to the expression 'wheel sucking!!!
Was for me a fabulous day, more of which will penned for the Cliftonite.

You can all have an armchair taste of the route next Monday on the box, which I think is the stage 15 day. I'll be surprised if all the sweat from the Etapers will have dried off the roads by then!!!

I bought an interesting historical commerative book published by the local paper l'Epeche. Lots of unusual pictires and news paper clippings from each year going back to the year of 'Vous etes Assasins'. Free on loan.
by Simon Donoghue Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:33 pm
As a newcomer to the club - and not yet invested in the club T shirt - I completed the event incognito. I did pass one Clifton member going up the Port De Bales - but had no spare lung capacity to use on striking up a conversation. The whole event was amazing - the constant shouts of Allez ! Allez ! Allez !, the locals hosing me down at regular intervals and the incredible descents more than counterbalanced the suffering on the Bales and Peyrousade. After coming down the Col De Mente at about 2.30pm - my inexperience and euphoria had me convinced that I was going to be on for a time of under 10 hours. Suddenly the euphoria dissappeared and constant multilingual banter turned to a stunned silent slow moving conveyor of beaten cyclists looking desparate and tired. The road started to melt, the verges were littered with people crashed out in the shade, there were more cleats on the tarmac than on the pedals - and everyone was looking for every source of additional energy from chain-gel consumption. Once I had managed to get over the Bales - I knew that I was still on course to finish - but had little time to spare - so had to dig in hard over the Peyrousade. The descent down the Bales would be interesting at full race speed - very unforgiving if you make an error. A final descent off the Peyrousade - and managed to line up a sprint finish with a french rider to add to the overall fun of the day. Came in at 11hrs 32 mins - with my Polar showing I had climbed over 14,000ft ! The beer tasted very good after a long hard day.