Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Dave B Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 am
Are they as durable as their 8-speed cousins? Based on recent experience with a SRAM PC49, I'm guessing not due to the thinner construction. A slight jump now and again from the gears on the road bike over the past few days was, I assumed, due to a slightly worn chain. Not to worry, I thought - I'll buy a new one at the weekend, problem solved. Rather more serious than that, it turns out - on close inspection, an outer link plate had started to split around the pin-hole. Seems I've been very lucky, having ridden it in that state for about a week over some fairly tough hills without it giving way!! :shock:
It's also the only time in 16 years of buying and using them that a SRAM/Sachs chain has let me down. Plumped for the more expensive but apparently sturdier Wippermann Connex 900 as a replacement, so I'll see how I get on with that.

Dave B

by Rob Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 am
I've heard of no problems with 9s, but am suspicious about 10s - I've heard of three breakages in as many months....

by Arthur Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:02 am
I've had no problems with either. If you don't join them right, they'll go. If you do, they should be good.

First gen Campag 10 chains were weak, but the current set (even the ultra-narrow ones) don't seem to cause any problems.

by Rob Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am
Two of the breakages were cracks across the side plates. The other was a pin pulling out of the side plate which may have been a bad join.

by Dave B Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:42 am
Probably the original Campag 10sp chains that Rob had in mind - I remember them getting mixed reviews in the early days due to the Achilles heel around the joining point. I also seem to recall that they couldn't be split and re-installed once fitted, making servicing either an awkward (if the chain stayed on the bike for cleaning) or expensive (if you binned it for a new chain) business.
My own broken 9sp chain was a different kettle of fish - it fractured many links away from the Powerlink section itself.

Dave B

by PhilBixby Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 pm
I've used SRAM 9-speed chains for years with no problem at all, despite my well-known aversion to cleaning bikes in winter. 951/971/991 all work fine, just have different degrees of shininess. The Powerlink system works well and I've never had any trouble getting them either on or off.

by nickb Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:39 pm
do you have a chain wear indicator? very useful and only £6

by paulM Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am
Never had any problems with chains - either 8's, 9's or 10's & only ever had one snap on a club run in 1993!
I've always rated 9's for their durability and cheapness!
Then again I never leave them on long enough to cause a problem - I've always treated them as disposable as its a false economy to leave them on too long as you will be replacing your cassette aswell or worse the thing will snap. On my race bike I will put a new chain on in Feb and change it again mid season. A good wear indicater is if you can lift a link clear of the chainring teeth, its knackered! Its worth taking the time to make sure a new chain is properly joined. I never ever take a chain off to clean it - you just risk weakening it. Remember to keep it well lubed even if you don't clean it often.

by Dave B Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 am
New Wippermann chain arrived from Wiggle today - one of their more basic products (no stainless steel bits or shiny nickel-plating) but on first appearances, build quality looks v. good. All that remains is to actually fit it to the bike!

Dave B