Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Chris Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:57 am
Hey guys and gals,

As my username suggests my names Chris and I've very very recently moved up to York for the year.

I'm kinda just looking for a group to go mtb'ing with (I use to be just a roadie until my bike was stolen :x ) and take advantage of all your route knowledge! I don't have my bike up here yet, but will do after the 15th July.

After doing the whole membership thing, would it be best to just turn up on a wednesday session and say hello?

Cya all soon,
Chris

by Tullio Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:06 pm
Chris,

Hi, welcome to York.

If you want to drop me an email at info@cliftoncc.org I'll put you on my distribution list for the MTB stuff.

We usually do a club run every month but in July we're away at Mabie/Dalbeattie instead (there's space if you're interested.)

As you point out, we also do a weekly ride near Castle Howard on Wedesday eveninings. The area's suffering a few 'moisture' problems at the moment due to the recent rain so we're doing a local MTB Event next week instead. We also do a range of other MTB stuff on an ad-hoc basis..just keep an eye on this forum for details.

Other than that, why not get some slicks and join us on the road at some point? There's plenty going on at the moment and it'll give you a chance to get involved. Our Social Club Run on Saturday mornings might be a good place to start.

by Chris Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:12 pm
I've been thinking of getting some slicks. What would you recommend for Mavic XM317 rims?

Also - for the membership subs does being a student get me a discount :P ?

Chris

by Tullio Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:37 pm
317s are quite wide but you should be OK with all but the skiniest slicks.

I use Continental Sport Contact without any complaints, but I'm sure there's lots that will do.

I'm not sure where you're based but if you're near the centre look up the guys in Cycle Heaven (01904 651870) for their advice. They're very helpful and we have a strong relationship with them so mention us and they'll look after you.

As far as student membership goes, if you're under 18, you'll need to get a membership form signed and bring it along to comply with our Youth Policy. If you're a more 'mature' student just come and ride first and we'll sort your membership out when we see you. We do have reduced rates for students.