Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:44 pm
You'll know that the Tan Hill Audax is set for Sun 19th August. Its 210 km long with very mountainous middle third in the northern dales. A great challenge and a traditional Clifton ride.

Two weeks prior to that, on the 5th, to toughen you all up a bit, we've got planned a (very) long Sunday Clubrun to Spurn Head. A ride with a real difference (you can't ride Fleets Moss every week). Its somewhat longer than Tan Hill at 240km, but fairly flat. If you've not been before, let me explain that Spurn Head is the spit of land that extends down into the Humber to the SE of Hull. Its a precarious piece of land and is washed away altogether every few hundred years. Riding there gives a real feeling of riding to the end of the world - down through the dunes with the sea on both sides to the life boat station at the end.

Most riders would find this ride somewhat easier than Tan Hill, but the bottom line is it is very different.....

Realistically we're looking at an 11+ hour ride with a two cafe strategy. 0800 start.

What do you think?
Last edited by Rob on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Willy H Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 am
Let's hope the waters in Hull will have receded sufficiently by then. Last time we had a rendezvous near Skidby Mill to give an option for those who want to sample the wild windy flatlands east of Hull but might not quite have 140 mile-a-day legs.

I'll be riding, not least to sample again the camouflaged cafe and loos at the Fleet Air museum!

by Helen Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:32 pm
Rob

Iwould like to come along,I enjoyed most of the day last time I did it, by
the end any level of incline felt like a climb.

Helen

by Rob Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:08 am
Just bumping this thread back to the top - its this coming Sunday....

Plenty of interest outside the forum as well. So the plan is:
0800 start from the Square. There's potentially a couple driving to Skidby Mill and joining us there - estimate getting there at 1000-1030. There's a garden centre cafe just after Hull then on down to the Head. Return via the Hull waterfront with a stop at the Fleet Air museum for refuelling. Onwards via Skidby Mill again and back in York sometime around 7.

Anyone wanting to pace us out over the early miles is welcome!

by like my bike Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am
Hope to see you at the Square

A J

by mal Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:54 pm
I'm up against the clock that day. What route will you be taking out of York as I could perhaps meet up on the way out, and then turn back to get home in time.

by Rob Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:20 pm
mal wrote:I'm up against the clock that day. What route will you be taking out of York as I could perhaps meet up on the way out, and then turn back to get home in time.

Elvington Lane - Sutton on Derwent - Everingham - N Cliffe.......