Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:33 pm
I've missed a couple of weeks and am getting mtb withdrawal symptoms.
Therefore definitely plan to be out at Castle Howard tomorrow.
Can I suggest a rendez-vous at Stockton Lane roundabout (I can offer a couple of lifts) at 1830 or at Coneysthorpe x-roads at 1900.
I have snorkle and flippers.
R

by Tullio Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:44 pm
I'll definitely be there and I know Steph F and Alistair S will be out too.

Do we need recovery equipment?

Planning a quick pub stop afterwards to sort out logistics for the Mabie weekend but all welcome. Anyone recommend a pub in that neck of the woods? I was thinking of Welburn but heard it was a bit 'Stepford Wives'.

by Rob Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Went for a drink in Welburn after the last ride of last "season" - it was OK. Otherwise I suppose its Terrington.
R

by MarkA Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:50 pm
Pub sounds good
As does mtb

by Rob@Nestle Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:34 pm
See you there

Rob

by Tullio Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:26 am
What a ride last night!

3 of us had faith in the weather and were rewarded but some stunning evening sunshine, and views around Castle Howard and Hovingham.

Unfortunately, as a result of biblical amounts of rain and some 'interesting' route choices by Capt. Rob, we finished the ride looking like we'd been to the Battle of the Somme. I don't think I've ever been that muddy. The sort of ride where you just forget about how muddy and wet you are after a while.

We're giving Castle Howard a chance to dry out a bit for a couple of weeks and heading to Hovingham next Wednesday for an evening Lanequest (see separate thread). Hopefully Andrew has found some drier tracks for us to play on. I've booked 6 maps for us but already know of 5 of us that are probables so please let me know if you're intending to come so I can give the organisers plenty of notice.

by Rob Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:23 am
Yep, some ride last night.
The forestry vehicles had chewed up the track on the northern ridge into a quag-mire with 50 cm deep ruts full of low viscosity mud. And in the late sun it was steaming and humid. After 30 mins of bog snorkling and feeding the insects we diverted onto the field boundary, but when we tried to get back onto the track further on it had gone... Much discussion of "Blair Witch Project" as we hacked down through the undergrowth in search of the track. Got a bit disorientated (the sun appeared to be setting in the N). Eventually emerged onto the road somewhere near Hovingham. Rob's GPS record will be interesting once its down-loaded!
Such navidational excellance does not bode well for the Lane-quest next week!
11 hard miles in 2 hours!!

by MarkA Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:46 am
Apols for not turning out
And i managed to dissuade Jammy after the third downpour of the afternoon
Problem is that was the last Weds ride i was going to be able to make for quite a while
Maybe make a few adhoc rides though - will post here if and when

by Rob@Nestle Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:48 pm
Have just cleaned my bike and am pleased to say there is no sign of trench foot, however a slow puncture was found caused by a small piece of forest.

Rob :lol: