Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:30 am
How was your weekend a-wheel then? I heard a brief account of glory in the Polaris events in the Wolds - let's have the details!!

Straight forward 70 mile clubrun yesterday round Brimham rocks to Darley Mill Cafe. Lots of showers around but managed to miss them all apart from the edge of one near Cowthorpe on the way back in. Back just before the big 3pm thunderstorm! Just goes to show that we should never be put off by a dire weather forecast.....
Last edited by Rob on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Rob Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:31 am
Marks' comment on Saturday's "Tan Hill - the Best Bits Ride", from another thread:

"Had a little run over the events of yesterday in my mind and came to the conclusion we did very well.

Despite not making it over Tan Hill we completed 2 of the 3 big climbs planned. Andy lead us home at a good rate and judging by Stephs complexion she had put in a lot of hard work getting to Reeth. Climbing over Buttertubs in the rain is tough enough when you are feeling 100%!

Turning out when there is a severe weather warning did seem to do the trick. We hardly saw a car and had the dales to ourselves. Thanks to Claire, Cath, Willy, Steph and Andy the Jonno for company and solidarity. Top teamwork.

I wonder if we might now attempt a Yorkshire Alps Reduced?"

by Tullio Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:29 am
A 'clutch' of Cliftonites competed in the joint Polaris/NYMBO event on the Wolds over the weekend. Despite the forecast and the heavy showers yesterday afternoon we actually managed most of the competition without any rain, although there was a nice blend of chalk, grit and mud to contend with everywhere.

I'm not sure of everyone's results but Andy S had 2 great days. He punctured on the Saturday, then lost his SI 'chip' at the finish, so checked in 20 mins late by the time he'd found it. He went home in a huff not realising he'd still won his category and come 3rd overall. He repeated these positions on Sunday. It must run in the genes because his daughter, Amy, had good results both days too.

Due to over-optimistic planning, my results yesterday were nothing to celebrate. I'd tried to cover too much ground and, consequently, found myself 8 miles from the finish, just 12 mins left and hadn't even visited all my planned checks, with several extra pounds of mud to haul back. I eventually fell over the line 20 odd mins late and was docked 140 points. :cry:

by A Atkin Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:31 pm
Went to see 'The Flying Scotsman' at the weekend at the cinima as a substitute to getting wet. I enjoyed it, I'd heard about Obree's unusual riding position but never seen any pictures (please bear in mind that I was only 10 at the time!). Couldn't believe anyone managed to keep that bike going in a straight line, let alone ride it round a velodrome!

The best recommendation I can give it is to say that Mrs Atkin watched it...and enjoyed it. A

by Rob Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:30 am
10 years old - gimme a break!

Thanks for the review - the film could well have been aweful!

The Obree/Boardman era was a funny old time as two riders were one week competing against all of us in the Wobbley Wheeler 25 then the very next making a massive impact on the world stage. It was almost like Chelski signing a new centre forward from a Sunday league team.

My favourite Obree quote was the one were he said that he didn't shave his legs, but did shave his nasel hair to aid oxygen uptake....

by PhilBixby Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 pm
Spotted on Veloriders - well done Matt!!

Huddersfield Star Wheelers Summer RR

1: Tim Baldwin / Paul Milnes Cycles
2: Chris Lockyer/ Manchester Wheelers @ 8 secs
3: Graeme Rose / @ 42secs
4: Jaime Hyde / Macclesfield Wheelers ST
5: Matt Shipley / Clifton CC ST
6: Dominic Turner / VS Cycles ST
7: Barry Mordue / Crosstrax ST
8: Andy Marshall / VS Cycles ST
9: Tony Grassby / VC 167 ST
10: Stephen Kaye / VC Lincoln @ 48 secs
11: Thomas Wood / Aire Valley Cycles ST
12: Josh Myers / Cleveland Wheelers @ 49 secs
13: Bradley johnstone / Doncaster Wh @ 1 min
14: Mark Wolstenholme / Team Swift @ 1 min 5 secs

Chris Lockyer broke away on about the first lap. Several riders joined him & then Chris & Tim Baldwin broke away to ride the rest of the race on their own.

Behind them it was absolute carnage due to a very strong headwind up the finishing hill.

At the end of the race their were about 10 riders in what was left of the bunch with another group of about a 6 behind them & another group of about 8 at the back of the race.

by paulM Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:55 pm
Five takers for the impromptu Sunday training ride. Having met Andy J in Stamford Br we headed out to Pocklington via Fangfoss, then round Nunburnholme, Warter, Huggate, Wetwang, Sledmere, Kirby Grindalythe, North Grimston, Malton, Amotherby, Castle Howard, Flaxton - about 75 mile ish in the "brisk but not crazy training zone" as promised.
I think the cancellation of the Nat RR Champs was a good call, the roads were in a terrible state - very gritty. Roads were wet to start with but we were home well before the rains came!
Best comedy moment was being caught, passed and out manouvered by a mountain biker on a trail quest after the climb out of Duggleby. Charlie reckons he was quite good. I'll not mention Charlies decending into N.Grimston - but thankfully there was a convenient gate hole!
A great ride on great roads. More of the same next Sunday for those too poor to afford a weekend in London?

by leadshoes Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:28 pm
My goodness, fancy being caught by a mountain biker! Whatever next?

by Tullio Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:13 am
Andrew,

Me thinks you've blown your cover!