Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by justsweat Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:05 am
Hi Guys, As some of you know I have been involved in RAAM since 2004. However I have had a York team come to me and ask is there any chance of finding a replacement for one of their guys who has had to drop out. They have everything booked. I attach the email from David one of there organizers and a rider. They are a fun team and as an 8 you ride around 375 miles each. If anyone is interested either contact David directly or give me an email at justsweat@hotmail.com. As far as I am concerned this is the best race in the world and this is an interesting way to do it and with a mainly York based team. I would join myself but I'm doing it solo. Email below cheers Brian

Hi Clifton Cycling Club,

Would any of your members be interested in joining us on this years RAAM, as one of our team riders has been made redundant and unfortunately can no longer be part of the team. All the british riders are from York area. I know its a big ask but I thought it was worth sending you a email to see if there is anyone in your club who may be interested in joining us.

Here is the brief on the trip. Read the rule & gear books they give you a real good understanding of what its all about.(attached)

RAAM Website
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/r ... ebcat_id=1

Our Team
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/e ... ry_ID=3132

Team:
Alan Hargreaves 67
Kris Hargreaves 31
David Miller 52
Nick Miller 24
Tony Bradley 58
Johan Malgren 56
Ingvar Korn 54
Paul Smith is no longer available as he has been made redundant.

You're probably wondering why a Swedish team & the name Mogliano Hillfighters . Alan lives 6 months of the year in Mogliano, Marche province North West Italy. Johan & Ingvar also have places in Italy, they bike a lot together when they are out there. Alan has always talk out doing the race so talking to Johan & Ingvar last summer the plan was hatched, Mogliano is the common factor & Hillfighters, well its just all hills where they live.
The reason why we are Swedish team is Ingvar registered & paid for all the team to enter the race.

A group of us will be flying to New York JFK airport on Sunday 8th June. We will be staying in a hotel near the RV pick point which is only 19 miles away from the airport. Most of the hotels will be a 3 star, so as to keep the cost down. Some people may sleep in the RV at a later date. (You are not allowed to drive the RV on the same day as you arrive from an international flight, hence why we are having to stay over)

Monday 9th Pick up the RV from the depot in Roslyn, New York. Pick up time is 1.00pm we have requested an early time slot, waiting for a reply. The RV brief takes around 45mins then we are on our way.

Details of the RV:
https://www.securebookingpage.com/renta ... /IM9145354

We will take the most direct route to San Diego, I think route 66 is a good option. We expect it to take around 40hrs of driving time. The group is prepared to drive it out there non stop.

Arrive Oceanside, San Diego Tuesday 10th/ Wednesday 11th. Rest of the team arrive Wednesday/ Thursday 11/12th. Pick up the other support car looking at hiring a Dodge Grand Caravan. We will be staying in a combination of the RV & hotel rooms till we leave on Saturday 14th June. Start preparing for the race.

Thursday 12th This is when we get all the bikes reassemble & check they are working okay. Set up the RV with supplies food bike spares last minute checks ready for friday. Get the support vehicle ready with all the safety kit & signage, bike racks, it all sounds a lot, but we will be organised. There is a mandatory meeting for all RAAM team & crew at 1.00pm till 2.00pm on that day.

Friday 13th Pre race day, 10am Team Photo, 2pm Team & Vehicle inspection. After that we are ready, relax eat ready for race day. 6pm RAAM meeting for all teams & crew.

Saturday 14th Race day: 11am Racers gather for team start, 12pm race starts, the 8 man teams go off last so I would expect to be on the road for about 4pm if its earlier its a bonus. This would be a single rider or a pair as none of the support vehicles or RV's can follow the racers for the first 25k the rest of the team would go on in front to a designated area. After this the race will settle down in to a format like this:

The team will split up in to two teams of 4 riders, they will do a 8hr shift while the others are in the RV resting. After the 8hrs the teams change over. this will carry on day & night till we arrive in Annapolis. We expect to average 16/17 mph this is around 400 miles a day if we can get in more it would be amazing. So the crossing would take 7 to 8 days. We are working on how the shifts would work & who will drive at the moment. We have another crew member from Italy joining us & a friend of mine Roger who is going to drive the RV & help with the cooking, So each 4 man team would have a driver in theory. We would all have to take a stint at driving. It's a big demand on all of us but it will be a hell of adventure.

Sunday 22nd/ Monday 23rd finish race. Night of celebration, Hotel for the night

Some of the guys may head off early after the race but this is my time schedule.

Tuesday 24th Pack up all the gear & bikes, head back to New York 211 miles drop off RV & Support car, Hotel for the night.

Wednesday 25th JFK airport Return UK

Cost:
Team Entry £1085.00 each
Flights return Manchester To JFK £560.00
Bike Box hire £70
RV 156.00 each
Support Car £87.00 each
Team Funds (fuel,food,general provision) £500 each but we may need to add more to the funds, but £4000.00 should pay for the majority of what we need.
Personal money whatever you want to take.
Each person would have to look after their own kit & bikes, lights, spares

I think thats about it all covered, any questions just give me a call

Thank you.

Mobile 07759055587

Regards

David M