Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 pm
Who's heading up there tomorrow? I've heard rumours of Nick B and Steve W, Steve S... ...weather forecast looks more like it.

Will be riding out from the chaingang start-point at 5:45 as usual. Arthur? Anyone else riding up?

Please can I blag a lift back with someone? Domestic duties calling...

by IanH Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:19 pm
I will be there, and can give a lift back, I will have my bike carrier on the car which I have just converted from a two to a three bike model.

See you all there.

by Arthur Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:42 pm
I'll be there, though if it's really lashing it down I will probably wimp out and do the chaingang instead.

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:51 pm
Thanks Ian!

by nickb Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm
yep, me and steve w will be driving up. maybe a bit late to ask but, whats the course?

by IanH Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:05 pm
Its the Walshford course Nick but I don't know what its like cos I missed that race which was the first in the series.

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:52 pm
Hi Nick; It's 30miles, twice each way up and down the A168 (the old A1) to Walshford and back. It's pretty dull, straight, rolling. Tends to be one of the circuits where the groups usually come together - being able to see the groups in front when they pass in the opposite direction is encouraging - so it's enlivened by a mad bunch sprint for the last roundabout and then from the roundabout to the line!

by Arthur Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:42 am
Apart from my hitting the deck at the end, good event this week.

There were only four people in the scratch group so even Paul M didn't fancy being towed round by Carl Saint.

I'm not sure which Clifton riders were where. 2nd group had Phil B, Ian Hagyard and some others? Third group had myself, Steve S, Paul M another rider whose name I have forgotten (sorry!)

All the groups came together on the way back for the last lap. Paul M got 4th in the sprint (and Paul I have a £10 Chevin Cycle voucher for you which I will bring on Thursday). Not sure where other people came. Steve S and Phil B were obstructed by a selfish bugger falling off in front of them :)

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:20 pm
Just Ian and myself in the second group (and yes, Ian and I and a couple of others towed it round, but I figured any group with Muzzy in it was going to be too quick for me). Third group also had Steve W and Nick B making up the Clifton contingent. Nick got third, and Ian was also in the top ten again. Steve W was just outside the series points and yes, I had a bit of a heart-stopper when Arthur and another fella decided to commune with the tarmac in front of me!

Was good fun, and the weather held off long enough. A return to circuits with corners in two weeks' time with Kirby Hill.

by Arthur Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:23 pm
Given the lack of a real scratch group, things worked out about right. Sadly I can't do the Kirby Hill one as I'm away walking, but I'll be back for the one after that.

by Arthur Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 pm
PhilBixby wrote:Ian and I and a couple of others towed it round

Funnily enough, the front of the third group contained more than it's share of red and black jerseys as well.

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:52 pm
...which makes it quite fair that we're (joint) first in the new Annual Airedale Shield award for the club with the most top ten placings. Come on lads, let's bring home the silverware!

by nickb Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:54 pm
Third group also had steve savage in which made 5 of us! we were all coming through on the front constantly. Need second place next time though, i need another tyre to make up a pair! Unless i buy a unicycle!

by paulM Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:06 pm
I hadn't planned to ride but last week was one of the worst I've had on the bike since I started - one of the slowest 10's I've ridden in 20 years last Thursday followed by CRC Hulls RR on Sunday where I was going well for the first mile until my bars came loose!!
But I've had a few days off work so Tues TLI kind of fitted in to the plan and I finished up with about 70 miles in having ridden out and back, & I made it home before it rained!
I actually quite like this course simply because of the uphill finish - I used to go well on the circuit they used round Marton and back up the B road to the X roads near BBridge which used the same finish - but they don't seem to use it anymore?.
Tuesday night was a fine team effort and it was good to see the club's riders consistently on the front doing far more than our fair share and still placing three riders in the top ten - and it would have been more, probably, without the crash?

by PhilBixby Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:54 am
"circuit they used round Marton and back up the B road to the X roads near BBridge which used the same finish - but they don't seem to use it anymore?"

It's one of the four they use - 17th July next time. The Kirby Hill circuit which is used for the next one has an uphill finish too if you fancy that, Paul.