Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 am
Its time for that thread again....

Lots going on as usual at the moment. RR at Little Weighton? Big training group on Saturday? Would be good to hear from Kevin's Saturday gang!

I have two events to report on:

Firstly the Clifton mtb Family Day on Saturday was great fun. There were 14 riders doing some proper off roading in the morning on the red/black routes. Picnic in the kiddy's playground followed by the younger cliftonites (the under 11s) going round some of the blue route for 90 mins. Highlights for me were that twirly swing in the park, Gill's banana cake and watching Mark take 3 year old Jacob down some very fast descents in his trailer! Thanks to Paul and Gill for organising. Let's do it again!

On Sunday Anthony, Andy S, Keith, Nick, Willy and myself hit the roads for the 241km of The Yorkshire Alps. Completed in 11-27, 30 mins quicker than last year due to the benign conditions and the undoubted athletic prowess of the riders(!) Can't believe Anthony and Andy taking each other on in a head to head on Fan Carl after 180km! All good fun, but enjoyed eating some proper food when I got home!

by A Atkin Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:08 am
Fantastic ride in the 'Alps', I really enjoyed myself! However I desperately need to go to Tescos to re-stock, I ate the entire contents of the kitchen when I got home! A

by Tullio Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:24 am
Thanks to all those that supported the Event at Dalby on Saturday.

Unfortunately, the batteries in my prayer mat appear to be low and the message didn't get through about the weather!

Consequently a June picnic, basking in midsummer heat didn't materialise and it was a bit 'soggy'. Judging by the enthusiasm of the morning bikers though, I think we'd have been there all day if the rain hadn't called a halt.

My 'Man of the Match' goes to Andy's daughter Naomi. I didn't actually ride with her, but judging by the comments from the morning group she rode with she could be one of our hopefuls for 2012, and she's only 11.

by Iain M Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:57 am
On Saturday, I did the Stockton Wheelers "10" on T105/4 - an undulating out-and-back on the A689 near Sedgefield. I managed to ride a PB time of 24:26. Fellow York rider Steven Gore-Brown came third with a 21:33.

by Rob Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:53 pm
From Kevin:

The Saturday Social ride consisted of Willy, Alan, Howard, Marion C, Jonathon P, A.Abbott & newcomer youngster James M.

I negotiated a route over Hob Moor to Askham Bryan, across to Cowthorpe onto the old A1 cycle-path to Walton & over to Boston Spa via the old railway line cycle path- at Newton Kyme back onto A659 to Tadcaster.
(30 miles-Lunch stop @ Tykes tearooms).

Rtn via Bolton Percy & Acaster Airfield, floods were encountered @ Cattal & Acaster Malbis.
A rear wheel puncture to James "Giant"before Bolton Percy, gave Howard the opportunity to carry out a free tyre pressure check if required.
Willy took the time out to top up on his Tan, prior to his Yorkshire Alps ride the following day.
I learnt the difference between Standard & long valve inner tubes with Deep section Rims!!!

Returned back just before the rain & a Saturday ride Mileage under 50 miles.

Alan W&Jonathon P rode back to Pocklington, Jonathon (ex runner)on only his second Club ride ride would get 75 miles in on a Mountain bike.