Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by MarkA Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 am
I need to check out the route for the Tan Hill proper (19th August) and wondered if anyone would like to join me for a ride in the Dales?

All welcome but my hope is that we can get a steady group who all ride together with stops as necessary - just like we did on the hostelling trip.

My suggestion is meet up in York say 9am and drive out to Masham. I can offer to take a couple of bikes + riders.

From there we take a route based roughly on the hostelling trip before heading to the hills and taking on Buttertubs and Tan Hill itself

Then a nice freewheel down before heading over Leyburn moor and probably as direct a route as possible back to Masham

c 110km with approx 1800m of climbing - no pressure on time - back to York late afternoon?

I think it should prove to be a great day out

If you are interested please either reply here - drop me a line or tel 01904 621550

by Willy H Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:31 pm
This not over-long (70 mile) ride might appeal to (some) of the Saturday Kevin class. Change of scenery and a taste of the Masham bikers caf!
I might do it too, as I should be hungry for more pre-Etape climbing miles!

by Andy J Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm
Im interrested in joining you Mark, I too want to ride the Tan Hill Audax and love that part of the world.
Regards Andy

by ClaireG Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:46 pm
Good plan Mark, I like the sound of this - count me in. I can take car + 3. Once we know takers we can work out lifts and meeting place.

Will only agree though if the title of the thread can be changed from 'Tan Hill Reduced Ride' to 'Tan Hill Ride - the Best Bits' - far more positive management speak :wink:

Cheers
Claire

by Willy H Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 pm
Mark's easy-peasy Tan Hill ride on Saturday is approaching fast. Who's going and who's travelling to Richmondshire with whom? I have space for one.

by steph Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:21 pm
I'd like to go, would like to cadge a lift from someone please.

Willy - we warmed up some of the etape route for you last week 8) good news is they're busy repaving (or in the case of Port de Bales paving a ribbon of track for what looks like the first time) bad news is they haven't had time to construct a crepe cafe at the summit and have thoughtlessly stripped out all the trees and forgotten to put any barriers whatsoever on the descent which makes for a bit of an 'airy ride! :shock:

by MarkA Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:09 pm
I think so far we have 6 counting me - i will email people directly to arrange lifts etc

If you know anyone else interested please forward on and its not too late to join in the fun!

Provisional plan is to consolidate into as few a cars as poss and head off for Masham promptly at 9am

But lets keep an eye on the weather!

by MarkA Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:51 pm
Have mailed everyone who expressed interest to arrange lifts

by MarkA Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:33 pm
Had a little run over the events of yesterday in my mind and came to the conclusion we did very well.

Despite not making it over Tan Hill we completed 2 of the 3 big climbs planned. Andy lead us home at a good rate and judging by Stephs complexion she had put in a lot of hard work getting to Reeth. Climbing over Buttertubs in the rain is tough enough when you are feeling 100%!

Turning out when there is a severe weather warning did seem to do the trick. We hardly saw a car and had the dales to ourselves. Thanks to Claire, Cath, Willy, Steph and Andy the Jonno for company and solidarity. Top teamwork.

I wonder if we might now attempt a Yorkshire Alps Reduced?