Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

Lanequest or Castle Howard?

Lane 5
100%
Castle 0
N/A
Total votes : 5
by Tullio Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 pm
NYMBO, the local organisers of Trailquests, are holding some evening Lanequests.

There's one planned for 11th July at Hovingham, which is just around the corner from our usual spot at Castle Howard.

Is anyone interested in having a go at one as an alternative to the Castle Howard Loop? The format is more or less the same as the Trailquests (2 hours, 30 controls, 525 points to go after) but they're on a mixture of bridleways and lanes. Paper and pen replace the electronic SIs also and there's a pie and a pint in the pub at the end.

Visit www.eborienteers.org.uk and go to Bike-O

I suggest a straw poll on this forum decides whether there's interest or we stick to the Castle Howard ride.

by MarkA Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:23 am
I've voted for Lane
Wondered if it was suitable for youngsters?
My oldest daughter might be interested (aged 10)

by Tullio Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 pm
Not sure Mark.

For the full on Trailquests, in addition to the Categories listed for the Lanequest, they normally allow a Fun Category where you just turn up and have a go with your kids. I've seen kids that look no older than 5 or 6 doing them. Obviously the difference is they're normally in Forests so you can avoid roads completely if you want to whereas, my understanding is, with the Lanequest you'll need to do a mixture of road and track.

I've mailed the organiser and I'll let you know.

The vote looks fairly unanomous at the moment so it looks like we'll have a good 'team' entry.

by MarkA Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:47 am
Thanks Paul

Followed your link and this sounds good

>>The season will finish with a Mountain Bike Marathon around the North Yorkshire Moors starting and finishing at Dalby Forest on Sunday 14th October. A 50 mile fixed route on bridleways with certificates and commemorative mugs for all riders who complete the route in 8 hours .

http://www.eborienteers.org.uk/bikeo/bikeo2007/bikefixt.htm

by Tullio Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Mark,

I've had the following back from NYMBO

'There are plenty of very junior children riding with their parents at our events. I use 12 years as a guideline and only apply it to solo juniors so no problem.'

So the 12 year limit only applies to Solo, not Parent & Child.
by leadshoes Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:41 pm
Hi there

I'm actually organising the event and there'll be plenty of route choice to suit all abilities and interest. It's a great opportunity to try out events such as as this and all very informal.

Andrew