Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:22 pm
How did it all go then?

Masses going on as usual. Clubruns, sportives, TTs, RRs.........

I can tell you about the Sunday Clubrun: fancied Hovingham cafe so went via Hanging Grimson and Thixendale (!). Then home via Ampleforth and Tadcaster - Kevin will be proud of us.... Lot's of good opportunities to cut this route short if required but only me and Helen out so we both completed the full 105 miles. Great day for cycling.

by Tullio Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:50 pm
A good turnout for the MTBers doing the Trailquests near the Moors. Andy and Hazel, Gill, Ruth and myself all entered on the Saturday for the 3 hour event in Langdale and Broxa. Ruth was doing her first one and said, after a little recovery time, that she really enjoyed it. A great effort getting 177 points on a hot, hilly course.

Andy's so keen at the moment he camped on the doorstep of the HQ Friday night so he could be front of the queue Saturday! He then turned in a great ride getting 445 points and winning his category.

Andy and Hazel stayed another night to do the 2 hour event at Wykeham Forest this morning. I'm not sure of their results but I imagine the better shade at Wykeham would have been welcome relief from the sun today.

by PhilBixby Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:51 pm
I did the Barton Wheelers vets race as sole Clifton representative; ten laps of their usual Deepdale circuit above Barton on Humber. Wonderful hot sunny afternoon with hardly any wind. Unusually stop-start for a vets race (tho still pretty brisk for an undulating circuit); about a dozen of us spent most of the race up front and all had a go at getting away, all bar a couple failing. I managed to get myself up near the front in the sprint and got 2nd in the B (45-49yo) group. Another tenner! - my daughter was reduced to saying "whatever" in that voice they have.

by Kit Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:56 pm
I rode the CDNW E/1/2 league race on the hilly Bole Hill circuit near Dove Holes in the Peak District. I attacked on the first of seven laps in the company of Richard Kent (SIS/Trek). We opened up a gap of almost three minutes over a chasing group containing Mark Lovatt and James Williamson, among others. With 2.5 laps remaining my breakaway partner suffered a broken spoke. I was unsure whether to wait for him but chose not to, and went on to win by 2 mins 20 seconds. Richard Kent got a replacement wheel and finished second, Lovatt was third, Williamson fourth.

http://www.cdnw.org/Road_Race_League_20 ... 100607.htm

by ClaireG Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:55 pm
Wow Kit!

I was amused by Phil's daughter's comment about his result from the w/e and then I read your usual casual and unassuming account of your w/e's exploits! So I thought I'd get into print before the 'racey' boys pay homage and say that even us Clifton 'non racing (at the mo)' riders are amazed and impressed by your continued great results and feel quite proud when I see your Clifton jersey crossing the line ahead of riders even I've heard of (Mark Lovett et al) - well done to both!

On more modest scales, the Saturday Club training ride was a small (but perfectly formed) group of 4 following the now usual Howsham - Gally Gap route, with an added extra of Leavening thrown in. A pb for me for the circuit of 17.5mph, but the best news of the ride was that Colin and Robyn's little boy, Ben, had come home from SCBU the night previous :D

Claire

by Iain M Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:54 am
On Saturday, I did the Heanor Clarion "10" on A10/19 in Etwall, Derbyshire. The course was an L-shaped out-and-back (slightly undulating), and was pretty fast (being partly on the A50). I managed to ride a PB time of 24.52.

by IanH Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 am
This weekend I thought I would have a go at doing the sustran's coast to coast route from Workington to Tynemouth (140miles), each year since 2002 on August Bank holiday weekend I have done it over 3 days in the past with a mate as a cycle come pub crawl but have always fancied a crack at doing it in the day.

The route is on minor roads and dissused railway tracks with some off road sections, each of the previous years I have done this the wind direction has always been a Westerly just my luck that all this week it has been coming from the east, still it was only slight.

So, confident with the experience of the recent Hilly Richmond 100 under my belt at 05.45am I set off on my mountain bike through the Lake district, over the Hartside summit and all the rest of the climbs in the Pennines, then along the Quayside in Newcastle arriving in Tynemouth at 7.15pm, feeling really tired and very pleased that I had done it with about four half hour stops for much needed refreshments.

I may give the chaingang a miss though on Tuesday.

by Arthur Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am
Iain M wrote: (being partly on the A50). I managed to ride a PB time of 24.52.

Your PB is now better than mine :) Congratulations!

What was the A50 like to ride on? Busy?

by Iain M Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 pm
Although the event was held in the early evening, there was a moderate amount of traffic on the A50. It had a good road surface.

by ChrisC Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:48 pm
I rode the white rose classic on Sunday and ended up with a time of 7.50 getting a silver standard.

I thought I had completed the ride without suffering any particularly unpleasant side effects. This simply was not the case.

When I got home I felt as though I had drunk a bottle of whiskey and as I lay next to the toilet for an hour I promised myself “I’ll never cycle again”. Oh well it looks like I made another promise I wont keep.

by mal Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:32 pm
White Rose Classic for me. Eight and half hours of bliss (?) in my wonderful new, but now salt encrusted, club shirt.

by Rob Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:05 pm
ian hagyard wrote:This weekend I thought I would have a go at doing the sustran's coast to coast route from Workington to Tynemouth (140miles), each year since 2002 on August Bank holiday weekend I have done it over 3 days in the past with a mate as a cycle come pub crawl but have always fancied a crack at doing it in the day.

The route is on minor roads and dissused railway tracks with some off road sections, each of the previous years I have done this the wind direction has always been a Westerly just my luck that all this week it has been coming from the east, still it was only slight.

So, confident with the experience of the recent Hilly Richmond 100 under my belt at 05.45am I set off on my mountain bike through the Lake district, over the Hartside summit and all the rest of the climbs in the Pennines, then along the Quayside in Newcastle arriving in Tynemouth at 7.15pm, feeling really tired and very pleased that I had done it with about four half hour stops for much needed refreshments.

I may give the chaingang a miss though on Tuesday.

That's some ride Ian!
Will start calling you Alf Tupper at this rate (runners joke, http://toughofthetrack.net) :wink:

by nige gos Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:27 am
hi all !!!

sat's t/t at burton fleming ( brid cc ) was a killer first 3 miles
up long drag / climb into a gale force wind - i was that slow i decided
to use it as training and carried on, even at top of last climb to finish
which is downhill i sauntered over line no final effort as usual and said
oh well i've done a rubbish ride never mind good training? and didn't
even look at result board it was muzzy who told me the time.

so you can my imagine suprise this morning to find out i came 8th :shock:
by andystanforth Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:38 pm
Thanks Paul for the mention about Saturday trailquest. It was one where everything clicked. Sunday was the opposite, I made a plan and then abandoned it by mistake after 10 minutes. Couldn't find controls, went wrong at every turn and finally ripped the bottom out of my cycling shoe. Egg beaters dont give a lot to stand on when you haven't a cleat.

Hazel and Amy had a great time though and competed as a pair. This really is a great sport for anyone to have a go at. The next two are on the wolds so come on folks give it a go.

I have a great mapboard recipe. If you have an old handlebar stem the cost is about £2.00.

Andy S