Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Arthur Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:49 pm
It's ok - I'm not that bothered really!

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:45 pm
I'm not fussed either way - I certainly wouldn't be sitting on the front of the third group for any length of time so I'm sure it all evens out in the end. The important thing for the organiser is trying to set it up so the groups can all come together if they all work hard; in two out of the four races the second group (and first) have been caught around the halfway point, in two they've stayed away. Maybe there's some tweaking to be done before the second half of the series. I've enjoyed 'em lots though.

by paulM Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:30 pm
Last night reminded me why I stopped riding these, which is that you basically get punished for being honest. I offered to go in the scratch group because I genuinely thought it would be the best group for a good workout. I didn't realise then that there would be 4 groups each with over a minute between them and that the scratch would only contain 6 riders. We made up 10 secs on the third group, having absolutely caned it, by the end of the 1st lap. You realise then that you're not even going to catch the group in front never mind see the front of the race!
Sorry guys but the front groups for women, pensioners & children. But if you can live with that its ok because it means you wasted your entry fee just like I had to.

by Andy J Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:35 pm
Ive riden in the both the second and the third groups so far this series, I think that the second group is just as hard as the third group if your one of the guys riding on the front, because out of 15 or so riders only 5/6 ever take a turn, so them 5/6 ridrs are the ones pushing the pace along and working really hard all race, If you took these guys out of that group then it would get caught on the first lap.

by NickScull Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:24 am
I haven't ridden one of these for a couple of years, but for what it's worth here are my views.

You ride in the hardest group you can live with. If you suffer with a fast group after moving up, then stick at it.

If the second group is as hard as the third group then ride the third group. That way the groups are properly seeded by ability. You will probably do fewer turns and be in a group that works together much better.

If it leaves the second group significantly weaker then that's the whole point. The organiser can then give it a proper handicap. It also allows everyone in the second group to get a proper ride.

Let's look at it another way, strong riders putting themselves in the second group deprive those that ought to be there of a proper ride. They are expecting to be in a group of people of their ability level where they can make a contribution. Maybe all these "slackers" in the second group just aren't fit enough to be able to come through. You are hijacking their ride. If they are taking the **** then move yourself up and leave them exposed.

Scratch group riders will have no problem with the early groups surviving in some races. Everybody lifts their game when it looks touch and go and everyone gets a good race.

by nickb Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:53 pm
Thanks phil!

Paul, if you werent so ignorant you'd know what happened on tuesday. Steve Woody has never raced before and i havent even ridden in a group for knocking on 2 years. So, me and woody turn up explained our experience and we got put in the front group by the organiser. I soon felt we should be in another group but 10 miles down the road is a little too late to change. It was a big bunch sprint anyway with the first and second groups. I will probably be in the 3rd group on the next event.

I cant believe the attitude towards it all, its an evening race and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and rode hard! Woody did a great ride too.
Anyway ive only been riding with the club for a few weeks and the events are great, and so are the people ,mostly.

by Arthur Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 pm
Sorry Nick - those comments weren't aimed at you, and were only meant in jest for Phil as I'd been teasing him about it at the race. If you haven't raced for a while of course it's reasonable to go of in the front group and then just see how it goes.

Probably time to leave this thread here.

by PhilBixby Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:41 am
Just a (hopefully uncontentious) addition to this thread - there's now a dedicated website for the series at http://www.yorkshiretliseries.net/ with results, series standings etc. Enjoy!