Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 pm
No one doing the TLI RR tomorrow?

I will be driving there (rather ride but I've no choice). Still I will be able to give one (or poss even two at a squeeze) a lift back.

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:33 pm
I'll be there, and riding out. Arthur? 5:45 start again? Steve Wood said he was entering; Chris C too; Charlie and Nigel possibly... any others?

by Arthur Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm
I'll be there at 5.45 to ride out.

by BroomWagon Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 pm
It's going to be quality field by the sounds of it then. What about Steve S and Ian H.

Anyway must go to bed and catch up on my sleep ready for the race :lol:

by stevesavage Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:17 pm
no bike = no ride

by SteveWood Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:47 am
Me and Nick butcher will be their.

by IanH Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:46 pm
I will also be there

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:30 pm
A "well massive" (as my daughter would describe it) Clifton turn-out at tonight's Boroughbridge TLI. Steve W, Nick Butcher and Chris off in the first group, Broomwagon, Ian H and I in the second, Arthur, Andy Johnson and Anthony in the third and Muzzy in the scratch group - and apologies to anyone else who I missed!

Three laps of the Milby circuit on a chilly & breezy but sunny and dry evening. Second group caught the first but stayed away from the third and fourth. By crikey there was some hard work going on there. I heard Nick and Steve towed the first group round for almost the entire duration, and most of the Cliftonites from the first two groups were there or thereabouts at the finish. I think I got 8th, were any of the rest of you over the line sooner?

by Andy J Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 pm
The third group was working well together but only managed to pull back around 20 seconds on the second group seeing us finish around 40 secounds after you guys. I came in level with another guy for joint first in the mad sprint for the line, god only knows why we were sprinting given we had nothing to sprint for, enjoyable evening but cold towards the end. I will be missing the next round due to work commitments but good luck to the rest of you.

by Arthur Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:14 am
I think the groups need changing a bit - some of those in the second group are pretty strong (Phil....) now, and the last group is very small. If people are 'towing the group round' they should probably move up a group :) It's a TLI chipper - the aim isn't to win at all costs.

I decided to try starting with the last group, which was not a bright idea as I couldn't really do any work. The group got stopped by a bunch of spooked horses on the second lap and I was stuck behind the horses when the group pulled away again. Mussy quit in disgust at this point. I rode to the end of the lap.

by IanH Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:03 am
I was involved in the sprint to the line, in the confusion I think I was in front of Phil but unlike Phil, I hadn't done any of the work up front, that's maybe why I had the legs for the last effort.

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:07 am
Nick got second (well done that man) - the race organiser's got your prize for the race and will give it to you next week!

Probably true about the groups Arthur (I just go where I'm told, me) - Nick and Steve W should certainly be in at least the second group but I suppose the organisers have to start somewhere with newcomers to the series.

It's interesting how it all evens out tho. Last night was the first time this year that any of the early groups stayed away from the fast lads. Last week I was one of four in the second group of a dozen or so that did every turn on the front; when we got caught halfway through the race my heart rate dropped lots, despite the average pace increasing!

by Arthur Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 am
PhilBixby wrote:(I just go where I'm told, me)

That's my point. The whole thing is based on honesty - it's up to the riders to speak up and put themselves in the right group, and move up when they think.

by BroomWagon Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:23 pm
Just like to comment on the fact that there were so many Clifton riders in all the groups. All strong guys capable of mixing it a bit at the sharp end. We are a club with such strength and depth everywhere at the moment, be it road racing, time trialing, sportive riding or Audaxing. We must be getting quite a reputation in the local area. I have to say the club's strength somewhat has to be down to the movers and shakers in the club, those people who give so much enthusiasm and energy to the club whether it's bringing on the new starters on Saturday, organising and looking after people on Sunday club runs, running TTs or cajoling people into riding road races. I won't mention names, we know who you are. Just like to say, jolly good show, well done!

by BroomWagon Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:45 pm
Regarding Phil riding in the 3rd group, there's no doubt he's going well and would probably do ok in the 3rd. But riding in the 2nd yesterday there were about five other people there who should've be in the 3rd more than Phil. Imho the 2nd group is about right for you Phil.