Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Tullio Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:44 pm
Only 2 weeks to go to this event so I thought I'd see who's coming.

Instead of the monthly MTB Club Ride this month we're heading to Dalby Forest for a family day out.

There's nothing serious planned other than turn up with your bikes, wives, kids, mistresses and a picnic and, hopefully enjoy the sunshine.

If anyone hasn't been off-road before and wants to borrow/hire a bike there's options to do so.

Gill's planning a girls only ride and if we get some yongsters along I'm happy to lead them round some easy stuff. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll be exploring some of the usual routes which are great now all the new stuff is nearly open.

Who's interested?
Last edited by Tullio on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by like my bike Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:36 pm
Hope to be there with my daughter, we plan to try a version of the 'red' route! she's 11

A J

by Rob Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 am
We'll be there - looking forward to it.
Is there a "pink" route? - would make 3 year old Siobhan's day!

Note to all: should be a great day out even if you don't want to ride... pic-nic/bbq, footy, a few beers, read a book in the sun....

by MarkA Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:46 pm
I took Jacob (3 1/2) up there the other week and we had a great time
Was thinking of putting a few notes together - sort of like a review of the Family Route with a few photos - anyone interested?
The strange thing was there was supposed to be some sort of demo day going on but once we left the car park we never saw a soul!

by Rob Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:57 pm
MarkA wrote:I took Jacob (3 1/2) up there the other week and we had a great time
Was thinking of putting a few notes together - sort of like a review of the Family Route with a few photos - anyone interested?
The strange thing was there was supposed to be some sort of demo day going on but once we left the car park we never saw a soul!

8) Reckon we'll be joining you!

by Rob@Nestle Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm
Will be there with Julie

Rob

by ClaireG Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 pm
Good stuff, Rob@nestle,
Siobhan is looking forward to meeting a fellow chocolate-factory worker of mine.....I told her you're an 'Oompa-Lumpa' - ok?!

We're looking forward to a tag-along bike ride for 3.8 & 38 year olds, but I'm mainly there for the BBQ!

Claire

(can you tell I've had my glass of wine, I'll pay for that on the Club training ride tomorrow!) :wink:

by NickScull Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:01 am
When is it all scheduled to kick off and finish?

by Tullio Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:20 am
The plan is to meet near the new visitor centre from 10am onwards. Although it's busier than the Adderstone area it's got more facilities and shelter for those with children.

At the moment we have a mixture of regular riders, partners, newcomers, young offspring and older children coming. I don't want to dictate too much as I think everyone should decide what they want to do on the day.

However, I envisage:

1. 1 ride for the older children (11-16s).
2. 1 ride for the girls or newcomers which can be as hard or easy as they want.
3. 1 challenging ride for anyone who wants it.

We're not planning to take a childseat/trailer unless any others with children are.

I suggest a good, old fashioned, picnic rather than BBQ about 12.30 then everone can bring their own stuff and it's less dependant on the weather. Kev might want to bring his social roadies along for lunch too?

A few things to bear in mind:

1. Weather forecast isn't too promising at the moment. Having said that the long term one for last weekend just gone was heavy showers until Thursday when it changed. We'll be there whatever the weather does although, if it really is bad, the picnic might become a coffee shop.

2. Don't forget the entry to the Forest is £7 per car (unless you have a season pass). Therefore suggest doubling up where possible.

Wrap up and leave when we've had enough.

by Tullio Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:31 pm
OK, final arrangements based on suggestions/needs of those attending.

10am meet outside entrance of new Visitor Centre for a selection of rides. Rides leave at 10.30(ish).

2pm meet on the area in front of Playground behind Visitor Centre for Picnic, Games, Social etc. I've a Club Jersey, kindly donated by Phil, that I'll try to make prominant on a pole or something at the right hand area.

After picnic there'll be opportunity for more rides, games etc until everyone wants to leave.

Hopefully, this now allows people who just want to turn up for half a day to come for the afternoon and those who want some quality exploration of the new trails to have a full day.

Suggest everyone brings;

Bikes
Helmet!
Picnic stuff (food, blanket, cups, plates etc) for themselves
Sense of humour in case it rains

Gill's going to bake some extra cakes in case we're short of grub but there's 2 Cafes down there now selling simple sandwiches and cakes if necessary.

Hope to see as many as possible.

by Rob Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 am
Sounds great Paul, we'll be there at 2 for picnic and we'll bring trailer-bike for a circuit of the family loop after.

by Tullio Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:25 pm
Some FAQ's;

1. Do I need to bring a partner or family?

No there's no need to acquire/produce one before Saturday - you can just turn up with your bike and ride.

2. What if it's chucking down with rain?

Turn up at 10am with a waterproof and get wet like the rest of us! The Picnic bit might be turned into drying out in one of the Cafes but we'll still be riding all day.

3. What if I haven't got a MTB?

It's a bit late to ask around club members but Purple Mountain http://www.purplemountain.co.uk/ hire them out for £15 half/£20 full day. They're based opposite the Visitor Centre where we're meeting.

4. How much will it cost?

You get the company for free but there is a £7 charge per car to get into the Forest (unless you have a season pass).

5. What about Refreshments/Pubs?

I'm not aware of any alcoholic outlets in the Forest. There are now 3 Cafes; 1 at Purple Mountain, 1 in the new Visitor Centre and 1 at Jingleby Thorn in the Forest (a bit hit and miss but she assures me she opens at weekends at the moment).

by MarkA Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:42 pm
Thanks to Paul and Gill for organising
We had a great time
Just the right mix of activities
Jacob enjoyed everything from the playground to the St Johns attractions, picnic and afternoons ride
He was full of it right up until bed time
Adding up i think we totalled 22 Cliftonites / friends on the day + a couple of visitors (?) - 14 went riding in the morning / over lunch with another 8 out on the family ride in the afternoon
We ended up with the girls doing jumps and laps of the car park about 6pm.
The little ones were doing jumps of their own - into puddles!
MA

by Rob Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 am
8) :D