Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 am
Now then.

Willy's already described, in florid style, Saturday's Grimpeur:

"What a ride!
The Dales Grimpeur must be the best and most scenic of all the local sportive rides, but there were at most 35-40 entries! Five Cliftonites though, with new rider John and father Danny.
A memorable day with brilliant weather, and the food feast at the finish was as good as ever: Pasta, tom soup, scones, rice pudding....beat that!"

What else was going on then? I know Steve had a 25 TT - how did it go? Muzzy was leading the clubrun on Sunday - how was that? I'm told that Claire, Cath, Arnie and Brian had a brisk training ride around the usual Saturday loop and that Kevin had a good turnout for the Saturday cafe run - let's hear from one of you! Who else was racing?

I'd dropped out of the Grimp on Saturday due to some childcare issues, but was committed to assessing a group of teenage DofE bike campers on Sunday. Their route wasn't overly physically challenging but they organised themselves well - hope it inspires them to do more and is not just an end in itself... Anyway, I somehow managed to clock 80 miles trying to rendez-vous with them at various points and didn't get further than about 10 miles from York!

by like my bike Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:18 am
Rode - Hetton Hawks Crit Saturday, a great little closed circuit, due to Regional Champs a small turnout. An hour of flat out racing + 1 lap got 6th and was happy with my performance. :)

Some excellent York rider performances in Yorkshire Champs how was it Kit?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... Champs.asp

A J

by Iain M Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:23 am
On Sunday, I did the LVRC Elswick Road Race #1 in Elswick Lancs (in the A/B race). The race, organised by Lancashire Road Club, was 50 miles long on a flatish circuit in the lanes around Elswick, Roseacre, Wharles, and Inskip (near Preston). I finished in the A/B bunch. Veteran Liverpudlian wheelbuilder Pete Matthews (Liverpool Mercury) was riding in the E/F/G race. I heard that Colin Hawxby finished in 7th place in the LVRC National Crit Champs on Saturday.

by Paul B Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:27 am
Myself and Kit were riding the divisionals at Penny Pot Lane. Since the race was 90 miles+ I thought the best tactic was to sit on and do nothing, but after 2/3 of the race my group was embarrassingly far back and I packed. Meanwhile Mr Gilham seemingly unfazed by the distance had gone on the attack in the first few miles and after being up front all day finished 10th! A great ride on a long tough course, with a good field.

by Rob Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 am
like my bike wrote:Some excellent York rider performances in Yorkshire Champs how was it Kit?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... Champs.asp

Anybody know how Matt got on in the Juniors' race?

by Kit Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:48 am
I was in a break of 6 for most of the race. Our lead fluctuated between 30 seconds and a minute and a half until we were caught with about 15 miles to go. I tried several last lap attacks but none of them stuck (Randle and Tanner took it in turns to chase me down) and I missed the move by Ali Kay and Wayne Randle, after Dean Downing had jumped away with half a lap remaining. On the finish climb I just held off the 55 year old Phil Axe for 10th. One of my two bottles bounced out on the first lap so I rode the whole race on 3/4 of a litre - not pleasant - I'll spend my £8 prize money on some cages that work.

by like my bike Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:59 am
Kit is he a 55 year old 1st cat. ?

There is hope!

A J

by Rob Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:30 pm
Kevin writes:

Just to let you know myself, Bernard,Alan W, Elaine, Marion & Findlay (6) made the Saturday social Ride to Helmsley.

Out via Tollerton, Easingwold Coxwold Ampleforth, return via Harome Slingsby Castle Howard Drive & Howsham.(70miles).

A marked change in the weather, saw us sat outside @ Ryeburn cafe in Helmsley.

Alan W would have got 90 miles in, as he rode in from Pocklington, following up from his 2 &1/2 minute improvement in Thursday Evenings Club "10".

by PhilBixby Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:00 pm
"Kit is he a 55 year old 1st cat. ? There is hope!"

Hey, I've been holding back a bit so as not to peak too early - I thought everyone else was too (apart from Kit)... ...no???
:wink:

by paulM Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:28 pm
Not too many takers for the club run on Sunday. Had a change of heart with the destination as the four punters in the square looked like they could handle a slightly stiffer test than Driffield - so we headed for the jewel of the Western North Yorkshire Moors - Osmotherly - a destination which never disappoints. Andy S & Willy cut it short having ridden the Grimpeur the day before. Myself Hans & Chris C rode out via Farlington, Coulton, Gilling, Helmsley & Hawnby and back the 'easier' way - Kepwick, Sutton under Sutton Bank & Kilburn under Whitehorse Bank. Myself and Chris pushed on back via Crayke, Huby & Strenny. I'm hoping Hans took one of the Easingwold turns around Oulston or was abducted by Aliens?? Finishing two out of five is a bit retro but Chris appeared to enjoy it?
You can come out in relative safety next week. The slightly cuddlier real captain will be back.