Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm
It's suddenly creeping up on us - 2 weeks on Sunday.
It was a belting ride last year.
50 flat miles up the Vale of York to Richmond where the climbing starts. Marske, Tan Hill, Buttertubs, Fleets Moss, Fan Carl and home via Spofforth. 240km and 3000m of climbing. Classic route. Target of 12 hours, Square to Square off a 0700 start. One cafe stop plus a couple of planned Spa shop refuelings! Ride as a team or push on for a better time - up to you.
Free to enter!
Is anybody up for it at this stage?

by mal Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:34 am
Can't make this one or the Dales Grimpeur either - a bit disappointed to say the least.

by NickScull Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:50 am
Rob

Nick would like to ride

Helen

by Arthur Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 am
It's the day after the Reydale Rumble, so a nice day's walking with Kath beckons for me.

by Willy H Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 pm
I've tasted the sweetness of Fleet Moss three times already this month, so why not: Willy on Wilier will be up for another long ride. Hope we can get the numbers up to a half dozen or so for the Yorkshire Alps ride.

by Rob Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 pm
Well that's three of us. Who else?
What about some of you racing chaps?

by ChrisC Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:56 pm
I might come. I am in two minds because I have entered into a sportife in Newcastle the same weekend i dont know if i can be bothered to drive up there. I guess I will see how my legs are after the white rose classic

by andystanforth Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 pm
I expect to be joining you. Last year I was really worried about the distance. This year shouldn't be so daunting.

Andy S

by Rob Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:08 pm
Just bumping this back to the top for an extra plug.
Looks like we have half a dozen committed to riding this year.... so far. What about the rest of you? We'll be talking about it all winter you know!!

by A Atkin Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:06 am
I'll be there too, hope the wether improves before then! A

by Rob Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:37 pm
Well, the weather forecast does look "better" for Sunday, but it would be prudent to expect the atmosphere to chuck something at us up in the hills....

I'm expecting 6-8 riders which is a good sized group for this sort of thing. So, here's the strategy for getting round with no melodrama:

0700 prompt start from the Square. The first leg up to Richmond is crucial as there are 50 flattish miles to do as efficiently as possible so we need to disciplined group riding, taking turns and I'd hope to be at Richmond before 1000. Something to watch out for in the Vale of York will be flooding and flints/grit in the road - if you use long valves suggest you bring several tubes in case nobody else's fit your rims...

There's a shop at a petrol station in Richmond - 15 mins rest.

Then the climbing starts - suggest we try to stick together as best we can or at least regroup after the tough bits. Reeth, Tan Hill, Buttertubs - Hawes.

Cafe at Hawes (hopefully 1315). They serve pretty quickly - hopefully in and out in 30 mins.

Fleets Moss and long run down to Grassington. Option of a munchy stop here (Spa shop or cafe, probably the former unless we're very wet). If we're going well may be able to push on (but not sure when next shop, Harrogate, shuts...)

45 miles to go, away from Grassington by 1600. Fan Carl, Duck Street (time to get back into some disciplined group riding as we should be able to motor along again), Penny Pot, Pannel, Spofforth. Back to the Square for 1900.

Easy.

Suggest take a good cape, two big bottles, pockets full of bonk rations, and a bottom gear of ca. 35" (say, 30x23, 34x26 or 39x30)...

Will be a great day - probably THE clubrun of the year.

by ChrisC Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:36 pm
I am going to pull out becuase i feel about as strong as a daddy long legs

by mal Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:36 pm
I'm still sorry I can't make it despite the ominous weather, it was one of the rides I really wanted to do this year. Hope you have a good day. Mal

by MarkA Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 pm
Congratulations to all who completed the Yorkshire Alps today - pictured here in the square at the end minus Anthony (who peeled off at the outer ring road). I think < 12 hours since they were last there! A great team effort.