Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 am
So what were you all up to then?
Heard Kit came 21st in the Prem Calendar up at Richmond - what's the story?

10 of us rode the Richmond 5 Dales sportif on Saturday. Chris and Anthony pushed on for a "time" (how did you get on?) while the rest of us rode it as a clubrun. A couple of mechanicals along the way and finished in just over 8 hours (although less than 7 hours spent riding; where did that extra time go?) Cracking route (Stang, Tan Hill, Swaledale Head, Mallerstang, Fleets Moss, Park Rash). Top hard man points go to Ian Hagyard who rode it all, with no apparent melodrama, with a bottom gear of 39x25 (he thinks it's that ratio; he's not counted!)

by A Atkin Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 am
Chris and I worked well togerther and only stopped once to refill water bottles at a pub (which made us pay for it claiming it was from their private bore hole!). We posted 'silver' times of 6hrs36mins (43rd and 44th place).

Only thing I'd change for next time is to invest in a compact chainset - walking up Fleet Moss was not the most dignified thing I've ever done, although I was told by two spectators that I wasn't the first!

by Rob Tue May 29, 2007 9:02 am
A Atkin wrote:Chris and I worked well togerther and only stopped once to refill water bottles at a pub (which made us pay for it claiming it was from their private bore hole!). We posted 'silver' times of 6hrs36mins (43rd and 44th place).

Only thing I'd change for next time is to invest in a compact chainset - walking up Fleet Moss was not the most dignified thing I've ever done, although I was told by two spectators that I wasn't the first!

....nor the last
by mal Tue May 29, 2007 10:33 am
Rob wrote: ... less than 7 hours spent riding; where did that extra time go? ...
I wondered that as well - time warp in Hawes?

It was indeed a superb day out, good company, well led by Cap'n Rob, excellent scenery and topped off by a personal first (and best) for me - non stop up Park Rash.

by Kit Tue May 29, 2007 10:49 am
As above, 21st in Richmond GP. Disappointed as I was in the group fighting for 10th but the long downhill in the rain before the final climb made me so cold my legs stopped working :(

by Iain M Tue May 29, 2007 11:24 am
On Saturday, I did the Mapperley CC "10" on an undulating L-shaped out-and-back near Calverton (Notts). No PB (did a 26:00), but a good muscular-endurance workout and it was great to catch up with relations in Mansfield afterwards :D

by stevesavage Tue May 29, 2007 6:23 pm
where did that extra time go?

It was probably spent waiting for me while my bike self-destructed - so thanks for that.

If anyone left behind a Cycleworks waterbottle at the HQ I have it and can bring it to the Spoco on Thursday

by paulM Tue May 29, 2007 7:38 pm
Rode a damp and breezy Batley CC road race on the Hartshead Moor circuit at Cleckhuddersfax.
Rode in with a group sprinting for about 11th place so didn't bother. Nine riders had gone clear before I'd got my feet clipped in, had a minute after 10 miles and were never seen again. Julian Ramsbottom was the predictable winner. I was pleased with my ride and gave it some welly in the second half.
A couple of weekends off now as I don't fancy either of the 95 mile Elite races on offer.