Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by steph Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:53 am
Well done for the great looking graphic and description, it looks very friendly and inviting.

I'd like to be there to help out (chat, eat cake etc) but I work late on Fri nights. Looks like it will be good fun though.

by Rob Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:01 am
Nick,

I'll be there to help - whatever you need me to do.

R

by MarkA Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:40 am
I was hoping to ride with Millie on the tandem but obviously safety comes first and if we need extra marshalls will stand in

Nick - Liz said she has a bunch of stuff in the loft we bought for catering at audax events - paper plates, cups that stort of stuff. Will drop you a line.

by Dave B Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Would a "mini-exhibition" of TdF memorabilia/souvenirs make a useful addition to the proceedings? I'll be down in Kent for the 1st road stage the preceding weekend, so will try to take advantage of a unique opportunity to collect some freebies & publicity material. If I fail to come up with the goods, I'll give an advance warning!

Dave B

by NickScull Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 am
Thanks to everyone for their continued offers of help, all of which are gratefully and enthusiastically accepted.

There will be a meeting of the coordinating team on Monday at 8pm in Brigantes on Micklegate. From this we will pull together all the different elements and come out with a clear overall plan.

Please feel free to come along or post any thoughts here or send me an email (nick.scull@btopenworld.com) or call (708170).

by PhilBixby Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:48 pm
<Bump>

Sizeable feature in the health/fitness section of The Press today (Friday) featuring Rob and Co "tackling a hill" which appears to be alongside a peaceful stream, and smilin' Alan W looking youthful. Basic details about the TdF lookalike event, buy it and encourage people to read it over your shoulder....

by Rob Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:16 pm
Great article Phil! Just the sort of thing that will be read by potential riders/members.

The hill we're "tackling in Wensleydale" is downhill - we always make it look hard..... and, er, it's in Wharfedale! But hey, it's one of the best group cycling pictures I've ever seen (apart from my bum in the middle). Remarkably Cath took it on the move!!! I love the light on the water and the eye-lines are great. I'm obviosly day-dreaming (as usual) and Claire is chatting with Elaine (as usual). A mellow scene. I've got it printed A2 size to go on the wall at the HQ along with another 8 shots of racing/mtb and cafes...

8)

by paulM Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:27 am
A great article on all counts - and to think a few years ago the club was being criticised by older now ex-members for not giving them much consideration!
The article covers everything the club stands for.
I can't wait to see the letters in the press complaining about cyclists riding on the wrong side of the road so that we can reply and say Cath was taking the shot whilst riding!

by PhilBixby Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:38 pm
You'll notice that Alan's singled out as "an example we could all learn from" in the Comment column on P16 too. Good to see the Press being so positive. Lucy Stephens' hubby is a triathlete and may well turn up and do the TdF lookalike event, so there could be some follow-up too.

by PhilBixby Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:40 pm
I called in Cycleworks today, and Frazz has dished out just about all of the flyers that he's got. Any chance anyone else could pop some more in please? I can email you the flyer as a jpg; even if you can only print out in B&W then it'll do the trick. He's hopeful that quite a few customers will show up, plus he and a few more of the staff are planning on riding it.

by PhilBixby Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:46 pm
Oh and... ...I called in at Cycle Heaven too. One of their fellas will be at the event with a stand and a couple of the carbon roadbikes. He's also said he'll bring along basic tools so he can offer an on-the-spot "bike doctor" service, which would be good (do NOT save up all your punctures for him to fix tho). He shuld be bringing with him prizes which will consist of:-

-2 Met helmets (plus one I've already got) for the "big" prizes
-about a dozen Powerbar sampler kits which is a drink bottle with an assortment of gels, bars and powders inside (presumably not mixed tho)
-a few bike cleaner aerosols

If we add to these a few free memberships then it sounds pretty good.

by Arthur Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:34 pm
I've correct the event course and hq in the Thursday league db and on the 'Club TT' page.

by MichaelCarter Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:58 am
I've contacted the York College student rep about the event and displayed the posters in the college. I know of a couple of sports guys who are coming down to do their first event too. Re, marshalling, just a thought. I know there's a lot of Clifton riders who want to do the course but also want to help, maybe (given potentially high numbers) we could have some people racing early and then going to replace a marshal so the marshal can then race? (may not be logistically possible though?).

If there's anyone out there who's reading this forum who still is pondering should I / shouldnt I? This time last year that was me and I was probably asking myself the same questions you are... Am I fit enough? Am I going to make a fool of myself? Will I fit in? After a few club rides and a few time trials I can honestly say I'm hooked. Fitness level doensn't matter, nobody makes a fool of themselves and everyone makes you feel really welcome. And there's no better way to get started than this ride, I rode the route last night and it is an absolutely fantastic route!

Michael