Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by MarkA Fri May 18, 2007 10:43 am
Think Jammy was a bit suprised to find me in the middle of the track as he came round the bend weds night :)

Now it could be that my spds are a bit worn or else my shoes "catch" on the pedal slightly preventing easy release

But i think a few of our regular mtb riders do use flatties

How do you get on?

Do you miss the ability to "pull up"?

The other thing that bothers me is your feet may bounce off the pedals on rough descents?

by Jammy Sat May 19, 2007 10:48 am
I us DMR V8s on mine,
http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=products&pageType=item&category=13&CategoryName=Pedals&itemid=PEDV8
they come as standard with 8mm pins (grub screws) there are 10mm versions availible, known quite over dramatically as Terror Pins (longer grub screws), we have loads of 12mm grubscrews at work, so I stuck some of those in, not recomended for use with decent trainers. The grip is great, though i have got perferated shins and calfs on both ancles, but a little bit of pain never hurt anyone!

by steph Mon May 21, 2007 11:46 am
Mark,

I use the gold 'multi' cleats with shimano spds, you can yank your foot in any direction and it comes out no problems. I used the regular silver twist-one-way cleats when I first switched from flats and had a few falling over incidents when I couldn't get my foot out in time. Multi cleats have largely solved that.

I have a pair of single sided pedals that you can borrow if you like, they have a regular spd clip on one side and a flat pedal with a recess for a cleat on the other. I didn't get on with them but give us a shout if you want to try them.

by Rob Mon May 21, 2007 12:34 pm
Well, I've had very limitted experience with both spuds and flats but have had no problems with either. This is probably helped by the fact that the cleats in my mtb shoes are very worn and that I've backed off the tension in the pedals so much that the little screw has almost fallen out! Still it works for me....

by MarkA Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 pm
Completely forgot about this thread
Thanks all and partic to Steph for offer of trial
Have invested in some wellgo equivalents of Jammys pedals
And a weird looking pair of shoes
Worth a trip out Weds night to see them