Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Jess Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 am
So, Jon Cocker, Will & I hiked 'up north' to Rothbury yesterday for the Tyneside Vagabonds hilly TT. It looked a a grim day, BUT there was no wind to speak of & it was pretty mild, so all in all reasonable conditions.
This was a 45 mile 'hilly' TT, and a flipping tough one! Decided to tackle it on a road bike, though on reflection TT bike would have been better.

Having never ridden this distance over a TT before, (and not really trained for it either) I was unsure whether to pace or not, so went with the attitude of 'go hard for as long as possible'. Turns out my 'as long as possible' is about 35 miles, which is unfortunate...
Half way round & I was two minutes up on the 1st lady, however, the wheels came off about 7 miles from home, which happened to be a 'bit of a hilly section'. Crawled in (almost literaly) in 2nd place. Lesson learned. Definitely a course that is better for knowing!

Winner was Jon Sturman from Activ Cycles in a blistering 1:56:01. The ride also included a timed Hill climb up Billsmoor & he did this in 5:03! Fastest Lady was Jill Wilkinson from Port Sunlight Wheelers in 2:15: 21

Clifton CC

Will Kaye: 2:15:53 (Billsmoor 6:40) - Also prize for fastest rider who had never ridden it before.
Jon Cocker: 2:16:15 (Bilsmoor 7:27)
Jess Bacon 2: 17:45 (Bilsmoor 6:35)

This meant that we got 3rd place in the Team Prize (1st went to GS Metro; 2nd Adepot Precision RT), good result in this company.

Also, despite not winning the ladies race I had the fastest time for the Billsmoor climb (and 11th fastest overal) - which earned me a MASSIVE trophy (the Ron Steele, kindly presented by his daughter Karen who was a BBAR a few years ago), so I'm chuffed with that.
It is really good to see a club that is encouraging more ladies to ride TT events.

All in all, This was a brilliant event - tough, punishing course, great organisation, SUPER spread at the end & some decent prize money.
We'll be back - Would be great to see more Clifton riders there next year. It is well worth the journey.

Jess