Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm
This is all v. high tech Arthur I'm suitably impressed! Phil looks like the champ so far with several entries.

Saw you guys have be discussing the weather (how very English) I rode the SIMBA mountain bike event on Sunday, although all the roads to Dalby were clear the forest trials were 12 inches deep, the single track was better as it was shletered from the snow fall. I thought I was a pretty good technical off roader until my front wheel start going west & east whilst also deciding to have a mind of its own. Its the only conditions that baffle SPD's as the snow & ice builds up in your cleats and you cant clip in. Suffice to saw I did nt enjoy the event. :)

A J

by Karl M Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:02 pm
Yep I did simba too like my bike...like my bike!

Here's my catalogue of errors: arrived late, warmed up hurriedly, missed the start (senior open) so started 2 mins after the rest...
thought "may as well try a bit since the 2min penalty is like having a flat tyre..."
then my back started aching- seat post slid two inches into the frame without me knowing... and to top it all off...
I did a 1/3 of the third lap when all races had been shortened to 2 laps only due to the conditions. Nightmare. Still, didn't come last.

I'm sure the organisers are going soft- it was 3 laps last time it snowed like that in 2002... and there isn't any 'cottage climb' to sort us out.

April 9th will be better.

by Karl M Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm
Normally finish in the top half of Senior Open 19- 29 (i.e. just in the top half!)- see 2003 results for instance.

Even my Time Atacs were struglling with the snow, but am glad I fitted a Panaracer Mud Pro 1.5" on the back- never spun out at all- a great tyre for when it's muddy or snowy up there (just not on the front- recommend Conti Explorer instead).

XC races have died a death 'though eh? I might try a 100 mile Merida XC or something this summer and use a cyclosportif as training.
Do you know of any other XC races in Yorkshire?
Cheers, Karl.
by like my bike Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:52 pm
MTB/Off road events in Yorkshire & surrounding area

Simba - April 9th www.simbaevents.co.uk/

TLI - Sherwood Pines (1hr 20min drive) Trophy MTB Time Trial first event 3Oth May, every Tuesday until 5 September

National Points Series first event Sherwood Pines 6th May www.xcracer.com

Lightwater Laike - usually early Nov, www.rowelsrotary.co.uk/lightwater.asp

Cyclo X - Most events you can ride a MTB races start Sept/Oct
www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/

Cyclo X - North East series
www.necca.org.uk

There's also a MTB Orienteering Series, these are fantastic events, well organised in some great areas, last years events were Helmsley, Dalby, Cropton Forest, Boltby & Yorkshire Wolds, you need basic map skills but you'll be amazed at the new routes you find whilst competing. I would recommend these events to any off roader.
www.eborienteers.org.uk/

A J

by Karl M Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:05 am
Thank you very much for that Like a bike.

Did Lightwater Laike in 2004.
Arrived late, warmed up and started the line up right at the back. Someone shouted it's 2 laps only today instead of the scheduled 3...

So after 2 laps I race to the finish line as the clear winner with huge applause and photos by all, shaking my head as the realisation slowly dawns that it was a 3 lap race and had the embarrassment of explaining to the race officials and timekeeper that I had not won the race, spending a (now) vaulable minute of my (still ticking) time trying to convince them I really am not that good, and asking what's the shortest route back onto the race course to do the third and final lap.

At least the spectators could delete their digital photos easily.
Is there a pattern here?