Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun May 06, 2007 4:42 pm
So, what have you all been up to then? I have to be honest that I'm losing track with so much going on!

I can a report a good clubrun today. 7 in the Square and the long ride going to pateley via Brimham Rocks then back over Jordons Moss. The wind was howling up there and I'm glad we had it to our backs!

Any report from the Saturday social ride - it doesn't get much air time on here which is a shame?

by Iain M Sun May 06, 2007 6:38 pm
On Saturday, Mike Rennison and I did the Thurcroft CC "10" on O10/1 (Hatfield Woodhouse - Blaxton - Hatfield Woodhouse). The event was full to capacity with 140 riders (plus 4 reserves) on the start sheet. The weather was nice and warm with a lively cross-headwind on the way out. I did a 26:04 and Mike did a 23:34.

by BroomWagon Mon May 07, 2007 4:04 pm
Quiet weekend for me spending time with the family, although I did go and ride some climbs on the Wolds ridge. Once up that 1 in 5 to the side of the climb up to Acklam Transmitter Mast, once up Uncleby and three times up Worsendale rise. Chugged up in my comfort zone with a strong assisting wind. Still, I rode them with a gear to spare and felt if they'd been three times as long I could have comfortably continued chugging. Well, I'll see if I'm so cocky when they are three times as long next Sunday on the Fred Whitton.

by Kit Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Mixed weekend for me. I rode the Cheshire two day E/1/2/3 organised by Cycling Development NorthWest. Saturday had a flattish 85k road race in the morning and I cracked the rear rim on my posh Zipp wheels by falling in a pothole in the neutralised section. It held up for the stage where numerous attempted breaks came to nothing and James Williamson clipped off alone with 5k to go to take the stage and the yellow jersey. I sprinted to 9th place.
On Saturday afternoon there was a team time trial over 14k. We (Yorkshire Composite: me, Phil Holwell of Rutland CC, Alastair Kay and Richard Sutcliffe both York Cycleworks) rode well together and finished 3rd, 9 seconds off the winning time shared by Kinesis and a composite team containing Tom Diggle of recycling.co.uk. Mark Thwaites (Kinesis) took the overall lead.
Sunday's stage was over 108k with one short but sharp climb round the back of the circuit. I got into an early break of 7 including James Sampson and Pete Wiliams (both Kinesis). Without working too hard our lead over the bunch hovered at around a minute for most of the race until with a lap and a half remaining I attacked on the climb together with Neil Swithenbank. Nobody responded and in the course of one 18k lap we'd put 1 minute 50 into the chasing group. A brief discussion confirmed that I was ahead of Neil on GC so we stayed together until the end and I didn't contest the sprint. Neil won the stage, I won the overall and, best of all, Yorkshire Composite crossed the Pennines and showed them all how it's done by securing the team prize. In so doing I won enough money to cover the repair cost for my wheel!

by Rob Mon May 07, 2007 5:55 pm
Quote Kit from a couple of weeks ago:

"Now I can't ride 2nd cat races, so don't expect the same frequency of wins!" :wink:

And you notice Kit desribes it as a "mixed weekend". :roll:

by ClaireG Mon May 07, 2007 6:29 pm
A 'crack' (did I spell that right?) Clifton Girly squad (Cath, Helen & I) had a satisfying non stop 65 mile training ride up Yearsley & Ampleforth way and back via Byland Abbey - Coxwold - Easingwold.

The 3 of us enjoyed the ride and at just over 16mph av spd, I can't remember a time when I've gone that far, that fast, with plenty climbs to boot............and Helen's second pair of lungs meant she could still talk through the whole route too! :wink:

Thanks for the ride!

Back to mudguards and saddlebag next w/e for the club touring trip to Hawes.

Claire

by Tullio Mon May 07, 2007 7:16 pm
Camping with W&K in the Lakes this weekend.

I did some excellent MTBing with Seb on Saturday around the Borrowdale area. I thinks it's only months and not years before he's tackling stuff harder than me. Sunday, Gill did a half marathon, so after that I took off on some last minute 'Etape Du Dales' training over Whinlatter, Newlands and Honister Passes on road on my Mountain Bike. I figured if I couldn't get the quantity in this weekend I'd get a quality workout doing those 3 with some fast rolling sections between, averaging about 16 mph.

Remembering how important it is to take in lots of carbs after a hard ride, I enjoyed a pint (or so) at the end!
by mal Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 am
Rob wrote:So, what have you all been up to then? I have to be honest that I'm losing track with so much going on!

Any report from the Saturday social ride - it doesn't get much air time on here which is a shame?

Saturday's ride to Millington via some devious twists, turns, that hill at Painthorpe (?), Thixendale and Nunburnholme was a thoroughly enjoyable affair. 9, I think, rode forth from the square and Cath and Bernard were spotted "cruising" (Willy's words not mine) around Huggate in anticipation of lunch at the Rambler's, which I missed.

Monday saw me getting thrashed at the hands of a fully kitted out Dave Lloyd racing type along Penny Pot Lane - but Clifton pride was restored as I passed him again on the climb up from the traffic lights to Harrogate main road - begads I'll be taking up racing next.

by Rob Tue May 08, 2007 4:46 pm
From Keith W

I entered a Cyclo Sportive on Sunday near the Welsh boarders called “The Forest of Dean Spring classic”

87 miles around the beautiful forest roads with 8,000 feet of ascending (rather hilly to say the least) finishing in Monmouth

400 riders on the start line, I managed to complete the route in 5 hours 44 minutes which got me a Gold medal in my age group, last time I checked I was 76th

My friend finished in 34th and was also awarded a gold medal for his efforts

Tough but very rewarding

The winning time was 4 hours 24 minutes

by MarkA Tue May 08, 2007 5:05 pm
Couple of hours or so in the morning was followed by a trip to Dalby in the afternoon with Holly

Not the best prep for the saddlebag race next weekend but fun nonetheless