Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by steph Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 am
Probably not a problem you guys with bigger hands are familiar with, but I have trouble braking effectively on anything resembling steep. I can't reach my brake levers from the drop position (even if I adjust the levers way back) and it's not much better from the hoods where I'm obviously not getting much leverage as I can't reach down onto the lever. I get a lot of hand fatigue very quickly which can't be purely lack of strength as I rock climb quite a bit. Talking to Gill last night and she has the same problem.

So, I've come across this set-up. (scroll down for the close-up)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140112476847&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2

Apart from the obvious (looks dorky), any thoughts on this? I'm not particularly mechanically minded - any ideas whether I can retrofit this to my existing setup (Shimano 105)? If it's feasible I'll have the shop fit it, but curious what other people think.

Thoughts anyone?
by Willy H Thu May 03, 2007 9:59 am
Hi Steph,
These dual action brakes are being used by quite a few Paris-Roubaix riders, admittedly they are non concerned about looking un-cool!
But they use them specifically for when they HAVE to ride on the tops on the really rough stuff. I'd have thought that for high speed descending you want max steering control, which you're unlikely to get with your hands next to the ahead stem!
Might be better to get extra braking effort by getting a more powerful set-up.
Willy

by steph Thu May 03, 2007 10:08 am
Thanks Willy, yes I wondered about lack of control with hands closer together. What do you mean by a more powerful setup?

by Tullio Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 am
Cyclocross riders use them. They're simple enough to fit as they just sit 'in line' with your existing cable set up. Wiggle stock some by Cane Creek ( www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat ... 5360012608 ) but I'm sure there's other varieties.

Incidently, Gill has exactly the same issue with her road bike, but she tried my brakes the other day and found them much more comfortable. She's got Shimano and I use Campag. Also take a look at your lever position and bar shape. There's a tendancy towards shaped bars now giving you a flat section near the brakes for comfort. This has the side effect of increasing the reach for the brakes. Maybe playing around with the lever position or a different shaped bar would help?

by MarkA Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 am
I think York Andy J has some on his cross bike - might be worth dropping him a line

by Arthur Thu May 03, 2007 12:52 pm
There's various woman specific bars out there that move the levers closer. Also, depending on how old your levers are, then new STIs might be better.

This sort of thing:

http://cycleloft.com/itemdetails.cfm?ca ... 39&id=2156

by steph Thu May 03, 2007 1:18 pm
Thanks all, this is really good stuff to think about. I'm leaning towards the new bar and lever idea.

I'll have to go and spend some time looking at the different shape of levers. I guess the same goes for bars too, the compact bar you linked to Arthur didn't have a flat bit on it. I suppose it's what fits me best, flat or compact -- or is there more too it?

Arthur - STI ??!? Spell it out for the thickies please (that means something else in my line of work). I have a wsd bike but it's about 5 years old, back when manufacturers were just grinding an inch off the top tube, painting them pink and charging an extra ton. I'm pretty sure it has narrow, but otherwise standard bars. It has integrated shifters.

by Arthur Thu May 03, 2007 1:35 pm
STI = the Shimano integrated brake/shift levers. Ergo = Campag version of the same.

by Rob Thu May 03, 2007 5:49 pm
steph wrote:Arthur - STI ??!? Spell it out for the thickies please (that means something else in my line of work). I have a wsd bike but it's about 5 years old, back when manufacturers were just grinding an inch off the top tube, painting them pink and charging an extra ton. I'm pretty sure it has narrow, but otherwise standard bars. It has integrated shifters.

touche! :D

STI, Ergo and WSD for the jargon buster then....

by steph Sat May 26, 2007 3:31 pm
to complete this thread

While contemplating spending £3.99 on shims or up to £15 for new bars one of my shifters forced the issue by self destructing. LBS came up with shimano ST-R600 high-grade which come with 5 or 10 deg spacers to pull the lever closer to the bar. About £10 more than the 105 replacement units.

Picked it up today though I need to try it out on downhills it seems OK. With the 10 deg spacers in can now brake somewhat effectively with two fingers from the drops. Will have to try and fashion 15 degree spacers.

If I hadn't had to get a new shbang I would probably have gone with the shims though :? other than that the shifters seem identical in profile to the 105's.

thanks for the suggestions.