Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

MTB

by Jammy Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 pm
Hi All
I'm newish to the area, I've road biked for a while (fixed Gear) and have recently started doing a bit of MTB, but I'm struggling to find anyone to ride with, I've took to riding single speed as I dont get on with gears.

I've done a couple of solo laps of the Dalby red route in the last month without too much trouble but as I've done it on my own I dont really know what sort of pace I have.

So if it would be possible to ride with you sometime I would like to give it a go!

Cheers

J

by Tullio Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 am
Jammy,

If you've managed to do all the Red Route on a singlespeed I wouldn't worry too much about pace any more. I'll bet that new climb out of Staindale had your legs burning!

You're most welcome to come along on one of our rides. There's regular rides Wed evenings at the moment around Castle Howard. We also arrange monthly Club Runs which are advertised elsewhere on this site.

If you drop me a line at info@cliftoncc.org I'll put you on my mailing list for the MTB stuff. However, most arrangements for the above rides are done through this discussion board.

by Jammy Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 am
PaulC wrote:If you've managed to do all the Red Route on a singlespeed I wouldn't worry too much about pace any more. I'll bet that new climb out of Staindale had your legs burning!
I would have to admit a few stops, and some pushing!

Wednesdays are good for me, What's the terrain like around Castle Howard?

by Tullio Thu May 03, 2007 1:49 pm
It's about a 15mile circuit mostly on bridleways and farm tracks. It can be muddy but at the moment it's rock 'ard, so quite bumpy. There's only 1 quite steep climb through some trees but the Wed pace is very moderate and sociable.

Keep an eye on this board nearer the time for details but it's usually meet 7pm in the layby next to the lake at Castle Howard (SE 708710).

PS Why not join us on the road too? There's a good ride to start on that meets at Exhibition Square in York at 10am. Ask for Kevin.

by Jammy Thu May 03, 2007 5:56 pm
I might do that, what day 10AM?

by PhilBixby Thu May 03, 2007 6:08 pm
Hi Jammy

Saturday 10am. There's also a couple of faster training rides that go from the same place at the same time, so make sure you get the right group if it's the social ride you're after - it's a good starting point for riding with the club. Ask anyone in Clifton kit to point you in the right direction and you should be okay, and Kevin's the usual organiser.

by Jammy Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm
I'll see If I can get the Fixie back together in time!

Does anyone else ride fixed?

Oh yea, and would I frowned upon for not wearing a lid? have never liked them on the road!

by Rob Thu May 03, 2007 6:23 pm
Two answers to two questions:

1. Yes, but more often in winter
2. No, you won't be frowned upon.

by charlie Fri May 04, 2007 9:54 am
Speak for yourself! I frown upon anyone stupid enough to ride without a helmet. Whats the point in not wearing one? Especially on the road where if you do come off (chances increased massively by novices riding in groups) the surfaces are harder and velocities greater than on the trails (generally). And dont give me that rubbish about them only working up to 12 mph. When we come off we are often talking of shear forces, rather than a direct impact force.
We must encourage everyone to wear helmets. They even look good now (unless your still wearing a 1992 Bell Image...)!

Thats my rant over. I'm sure this wont be the last of the thread though!

by Rob Fri May 04, 2007 10:20 am
Please, please, please let's not go here!!!

by Tullio Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 am
Jammy,

By the sounds of it you've ridden a bike a bit so you're not only aware of the risks of riding a bike, but that the whole helmet argument holds strong opinions, on both sides, amongst cyclists and that will always be the case.

As far as riding with us without a helmet, I'm sure I speak for the others who lead the rides when I say 'We'd rather you did wear a helmet but, so long as you're aware of the risks, we respect your wish to ride without one.'

Just come along and enjoy the riding!

by Arthur Fri May 04, 2007 11:14 am
I'm with Rob here. Let's not start this discussion. We have a policy for rides, stated above ("Wear one if you want"). That's sufficient.

by Jammy Fri May 04, 2007 6:40 pm
Have I lit the blue torch paper?

Should I also not mention, Clips vs Clipless, sloping seats and Carbon fiber frames?

As it stands I can't make tomorrow, I'm still waiting on some parts, hopfully I can join you on wednesday, and the next road ride with a shiny new chainset.