Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:18 pm
Thought I'd get my bit in first. I rode Keith Benton's 300k Audax on Saturday and I must admit it was something I entered with considerable trepidation being a good 30miles more than I've ever ridden before. I was also quite inquisitive to see the kind of people that would turn up at 5.00am in the morning and ride 190miles. The route was to take us to Pocklington, through the wolds to Malton, then across the Howardians to Ripon, Leyburn, Stokesley and back across the hills to Helmsley then York.

I'd expected there to be hardly a dozen riders but in the event there was 50. I'd also expected the pace to set out sedately as we were all going to be on our bikes all day but that was something I was wrong about too. Setting off in the dawn with a stream on lights lengthening out into the distance was quite a site. I hooked on the back of the lead group which was being driven on by Noel Clough (elite cat cyclocrosser), one of his mates who seemed to be every bit as good as he was and two of the Hambleton RC guys (anyone that's ridden with them knows they're no slouches either). Naturally, I yo yo'd off the back on the bigger climbs but they weren't really going for it so I could get back on without too much panic whenever the road flattened out.

Over the first undulating 100miles we averaged 19.2mph which contrasts with the 18.7mph we did on the three bridges last week which is about the flattest ride I know - it's just humbling when you see what an elite chap does on an "easy" day out.

Thanks to this express train the 190miles was nowhere near as taxing as I'd expected and nothing like as tough as the Dales Grimper which is nearly 60miles shorter and I did the ride in 12hrs 30mins although it only took 10hrs 30mins of actual bike riding time at an average of just a smidge over 18mph.

Afterwards a few people said I'd be up for a 400km next which I've always thought would be a nightmare of suffering, but now it does sort of seem the next natural challenge.

I know as a club we tend not to ride long distance Audaxs but if anyone's thought of riding a 300km but then discounted it because of the distance, if you can ride a good 100mile ride (and we've plenty of people who can) I think you'd find a 300km well within your capabilities.
by BroomWagon Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:30 pm
Yep I know, I know - those of you that noticed, should be sight but I write the other one for my job a lot and I am tired - I have ridden 190miles today you know. :lol:

by PhilBixby Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 pm
How did everyone else do? Team Swift, Wetwang RR, Sloan Trophy RR, plus I think some of you were doing TT's on Saturday? Plus the training ride and clubrun - there must have been lots going on!

Aside from a chilly NE breeze its's been an amazing April weekend's weather - I was reminded of the contrast with the weekend of the Wetwang race last year (admittedly a couple of weekends earlier) when I rode out to watch; it snowed during the commissaire's usual lecture and the whole field rode off because they were freezing to death!

I did the A1 Classic veteran's RR at Boroughbridge today; a big, and quality, field as the race was part of the Percy Stallard national series which also meant it was extended to 60 miles. The A/B race was pretty quick; one breakaway group took advantage of an incident with a nervous horse to get away but were pulled back by half-distance, another got away with three laps to go and stayed away taking most of the placings. I was the second "B" across the line in the bunch sprint but the placings and prizes had gone to those in the break... ...a good race though and with 40 miles round trip there and back me legs are *knackered*! Locals Simon Wright and Nigel Warnes were there too and finished in the bunch.

by Andy J Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:52 pm
Saturday training ride saw nine of us out, usual ride but with a different approach to Malton by going out through Bossal, Crambe and Kirkham. It was a good ride with Colin H and Tony setting a nice pace on the front.

by paulM Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:23 pm
Rode Sloan Trophy at Ponteland with Paul Bridgen. A dull race race on a dull and cold day. 77 riders on the start sheet and most of them were trying to get to the front for the sprint at the end which resulted in the inevitable finishing sprint crash (just like last year I believe) which we both managed to avoid. Nobody could get away, although Paul had a few miles off the front, which was a few miles more than I managed - so all in all a frustrating day. There are some great roads in Northumberland, I don't know why the organisers don't use them more often?
I should have done the Elite race at Thurcroft!

by mal Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 am
Couldn't make Sunday's club run so did a lonely 100 miler on Saturday around the NY Moors instead. Discovered an interesting (!?) series of hills in the middle bit: Littlebeck - Sleights - Grosmont - Egton - Egton Bridge - Rosedale. Next time I'll look at the OS map not my large scale North of England AA route map.

by IanH Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:16 am
Well done Broom Wagon, that sounds like a really good ride you had, I was less adventurous and turned up at 9am to do the 100K from the same venue which is usually well atended, when I saw only 5 others I thought it somewhat unusual, we all had a copy of the routesheet which we had downloaded from the NDA website which clearly said 9am start, when Keith Benton turned up to open up the hall he told us that it was 10am start and that the form we had had not been updated to show this years time, still that was not as bad as the two guys who turned up at 09.45 to start the 300K which had set off nearly 5 hours earlier (this was due to a jobsworth on the train not allowing them to take there bikes on because they had not booked them on in advance even though the train was quite empty) but respect to the guys they still went ahead and did the 300K, the 100K was very well attended also which is one of my favourite Audax's which goes through Brimham rocks before returning through Ripon, rode with some good lads with two long cafe stops.

by Arthur Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:51 am
Let me know if you are doing another 300k. I might be tempted.

by MarkA Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 am
Can report seven in the square Sunday
Rode out to Buttercrambe where Cath and Bernard turned off for a flatter run to the cafe
Helen and Willy turned off at the mast to meet up
And i yo yo'd off the back of Hans and Andy S as they viciously took it in turns to wait for me through Malton and all the way to Terrington - where i admitted defeat and enjoyed a can of coke in front of the shop
Most enjoyable and i think everyone got what they wanted out of the day

by MarkA Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 am
On the subject of 300s - agree with Steve
I rode the wiggy event two years ago and at the end felt as though my body could have carried on
Just a case of more eating then riding, then more eating
But mentally i'd had enough - so will probably never do a 4 or 600
Can also confirm everyone sets off at a good lick - i turned up 20 mins late and rode with a lad from Newcastle who was really motoring
We found everyone in the cafe at Malton
And didn't start catching people until we were en route to Ripon where we hooked up with Martin and Leo who entered the Tan Hill last year

by cath Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:30 am
Bernard and myself rode to cafe at Hutton Cranswick and back via Market Weighton/Pock/Stamford Bridge - 77 miles on the clock - needed to do a flatter, faster ride as my Mum was babysitting.
Cath.

by Iain M Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:40 am
I did the Barton Wheelers "10" on Saturday on C10/7 - an undulating circuit in the lanes south of Barton. The weather was nice and warm, punctuated by a strong sea breeze. No PB for me this time, but a good muscular-endurance workout :)
by like my bike Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:40 am
I rode the Wetwang RR, the weather was fantastic, a full field made the start. The first 3 laps were very steady with no major moves, as we started the 4th lap the pace increased and a group of 20 rides broke clear, only to be caught by the rest of the field, the 5th lap saw the same move but this time we got away. 3 riders broke clear including James Wagstaff and stayed away to the finish. James (ex Clifton CC) got third, in the final sprint there were 20 of us but it was not my day to get in the points.

I finished in the top 20, there were probably only another 6 riders who finished! It was my first time riding this course and I'll defiantly be back next year.

A J

by Kit Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:08 pm
Thurcroft CC race for E/1/2. Twelve laps of a busy, pot-holed and primarily flat circuit round less than glamorous South Yorkshire suburbia. Much consternation as Russell Downing took time out from his US-based pro career and turned up on the line (presumably he was too scared of Malcolm Elliott to ride the Rutland Melton Premier Calendar race).
I got into a very early break of three which only ever had 100m on the bunch until it was joined shortly after by Downing, Adam Blyth and one other. Our pace increased to the extent that I thought I'd be dropped, but after a few laps it settled down and became a bit more manageable. With two laps to go and our lead at around 2 minutes Downing jumped clear and rode alone to the finish. The remaining 5 in the break rode the remaining laps without anything of note happening, then in the battle not to lead out one lad got away from us and I was beaten by Adam Blyth in the sprint for 3rd. 4th place and sore legs but at least I didn't have to ride 300k like some of you!