Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by MarkA Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:48 am
Reassembling my bike last night prompted me to think about the bits i was putting back on it

Bit of history

I spent most of the last couple of social mtb seasons riding around on a pair of skinny (ritchey i think) 1.5 xc racing tyres which are a few years old - they roll great and i think despite having virtually no tread in the middle and just a few knobbles on the outside seem to dig in pretty well in the mud

Anyway to cut a long story short we had a couple of chaps turn up one night who suggested getting tyres with some tread on them (in the nicest possible way)

And given that my old frame had rigid forks i swung completely the other way and tried first a conti 2.5 diesel and then a 2.3 gravity on the front together with a 2.1 vapor on the rear. Not light but definitely provide some "suspension"!

What do we all use tyre wise?

I guess what i am looking for is suggestions for something to ride at Castle Howard Weds pm + the occasional foray at Dalby with nothing too adventurous (wheels on the ground sort of thing). And i now have some bouncy forks.

by charlie Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am
I strongly recommend panaracer Fire XC 2.1's for a just about do anything tire. get the folding version and dont be tempted by the 1.8 version - its a completely different tire!
I've raced on these, ridden all winter on them, used then in the pouring rain in the lakes and they are fine.

The other tire I rate, is the Specialized FastTrak. Not quite as versatile as the Fire, but more than enough for the riding you've described. This is a 2.0 width. My preference for racing on, but also great for training.

I am currently using both these tires, the Fires on my HT and the Specs on my FS.

by steph Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 am
I switched to Panracer XC's recently and am v happy with them, especially their ability to clear mud. Cycle Heaven carry them.

by Rob Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 pm
Thanks - that's useful advice for me too. I shredded one of mine last year and got totally bewildered with the options for replacement... Ended up just getting the same again (the tyres that came with it in the first place 7 years ago!)

by Arthur Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm
I've got a pair of Panaracer Tailrakers for winter and they are excellent in serious mud:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360007210

Way too slow and heavy for the summre though. For that I have something else that I'm pretty sure are Fire XCs as well. Must fit them to the bike before next week!

by MarkA Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm
Good info so far - thanks

May i just throw another spanner in the works

Rims
And tyres
And side wall strength

Seems to me tyres with strong side walls = v heavy
Thinner side walls especially on narrower rims = sloppy

I have always got on well with Mavic rims on the road

And i believe the 17 in a Mavic 317 means a measure of width and the 3 a measure of quality / expense

Mavic seem to be quoting a max of 21mm tyre for a "17"
And a bit more for a "19" say

But not all 21mm tyres can be the same or have the similar strength side walls etc

So how does that work?

Should we be talking about good rim / tyre combos really

Or should we just be getting out a bit more and riding our bikes and not worrying about this :)