Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Who's doing the Tuesday evening TLIs at Boroughbridge? And who's riding out to tomorrow's? Arthur? What time are we setting off? Meet out at the chaingang layby?

by Arthur Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 pm
5pm at the roundabout? Should be ok even for the 7pm start.

I shall be setting by alarm unpleasantly early to let me get into work early and hence get out early :(

by Iain M Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 pm
Hi Phil, I'll be riding tomorrow, but will drive over to Boroughbridge. See you there!

by PhilBixby Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:11 pm
Team of three so far then; looking good! 5 sounds fine Arthur, will see you there.

Come on the rest of you who are teetering on the brink! Iain's had a go a racing and come out smiling - get yerselves up there!

by Rob Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:38 pm
Arthur wrote:5pm at the roundabout? Should be ok even for the 7pm start.

I shall be setting by alarm unpleasantly early to let me get into work early and hence get out early :(

What, 9am? :D

by Andy J Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:46 pm
Hi Phil,

I will be riding tomorrow night but will also be driving there straight from work.

Regards Andy

by ChrisC Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:22 am
I will drive there tonight unless I chicken out of course

by PhilBixby Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:44 am
Chris! Doncha dare (chicken out that is, not drive).

Team of five now... ...who else?!?

by Paul B Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 am
See you there guys.....

by BroomWagon Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:19 pm
Come on then chaps - how'd ya do.....

by PhilBixby Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 pm
Broomwagon! Where were ya!

Good Clifton team presence - Iain and Chris in the first group off, Arthur, Steve, Andy Johnson and me in the second group, and Paul B back in the scratch group. Five minutes (I think) from front group to scratch group, 30 miles twice up and down the old A1 from Boroughbridge to Walshford.

The middle group hammered along at a brisk pace, a rather lumpy through-and-off interrupted by an early crash from a touch of wheels, and all three groups came together on the third of the four legs of the race. After that the pace yo-yoed around a bit until it cranked steadily up for what turned out to be The Sprint For The Roundabout, and those with their nerves still intact battled out the sprint back up the rise to the finish.

I followed Paul B who went early down the outside, and had a brief spell of thinking "top ten - yessss!" before my legs gave up and I gasped over the line somewhere between 15th and 20th. Paul had had a few goes at it throughout but ended up in the just-outside-the-placings bunch which also contained Steve, Arthur, Andy and me. Iain did well, staying in the final bunch until a late jump in pace shook him off, and Chris did a gutsy ride to complete his first road race only a couple of minutes down. Average 26mph, so not hanging around.

And it didn't rain! Same time, same place (but different course), two weeks' time. Who's giving it a go?

by IanH Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:24 pm
I will be there for the next one hopefully, now I am back from my hols, will be driving there.

by BroomWagon Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:17 pm
Me too - it's now or never.

by PhilBixby Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:30 pm
Excellent!

by BroomWagon Mon May 07, 2007 3:57 pm
Could be letting the club down again :( , I've got a lot on at work, so an early finish is doubtful. However, if I am doing the ride, I will be riding from the roundabout, but if I'm not there around 5pm don't wait.