Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:02 am
Come on Guys, how did you all fair then?

I know Iain rode strongly in a "10" at Walshford on saturday.
How was Teesdale?
How was the Vet's RR Phil?
I think Arnie and Matt were Testing on Sunday.....
Any more racing to report?
How was the MTB trip?

I enjoyed the 3B Audax. A group of 8 of us formed up towards the back of the field and rode efficiently with no melodrama to finish at 5-20. We'd have been on our 8 hour schedule without the couple of punctures (honest). Well done to Andy, Keith and Steve who finished in the front group some 3 hours in front of us! Top ride from "young" Alan who, declining our first cafe stop, finished well in front of us and inside the 8 hours. Willy somehow got lost in Hull, carried his bike across the Clive Sulliven Way then shouldered it up an embankment and across a field to get to the Humber Bridge :roll: . A great day out though and it was nice to see some very satisfied grins at the finish; for many this was their first "ton ride" and I hope it's the catalyst for more challenges in the future... Thanks to Mark and his crew for organising.

by Tullio Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 am
Another good ride on Saturday for the MTBers.

Andy S, Alistair, new member Alex and myself set off from Fridaythorpe for a loop around the Huggate, Millington, Thixendale area. A new area for me so I was happy to let Andy lead us around his home territory. Weather and route were perfect with some great views across the Wolds and beyond, plenty of sunshine and good tracks.

A large mug of tea and some fuel at the Fridaythorpe Cafe rounded things off nicely.

Next ride 19th May in the Pateley Bridge area, on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales.

On Sunday, Gill and Steph W took off for some Sportif training to Pateley Bridge and Masham clocking up nearly 100, hilly, miles.

by PhilBixby Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:58 am
Halifax Imps' Pete Fryer Memorial vets race happened without me - I had a really thick snotty cold from midweek last week which is just starting to clear now and so (in what Caroline described as "a rare moment of common sense") I rang the organiser and made my apologies. Intervals on the turbo instead. Just need to blow all the snot out now before Boroughbridge on Tuesday, and then the A1 Classic vets race back up there on Sunday!

by Paul B Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 am
Did the Hambleton RR which was nice and wet. I wasn't up to much and just finished in the bunch. My day was slightly improved by Stefan Schmacher coming in at 25-1 at Amstel!
Just seen that Kit won at Kippax yet again!!! I can't recall many riders in this area having such a good start to the season......

by like my bike Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:44 am
Hetton Hawks Crit race on Saturday, going off in the first group our group failed to take advantage of a minutes start!!! We were caught by the scratch group after half an hour, the race became more frantic until 2 laps to go. The leading group waiting for the sprint, we were all caught out by the eventual winner attacking with half a lap to go, finished 12th. Better luck next week!
Last edited by like my bike on Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

A J

by Arthur Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:49 am
Teesdale was very, very windy. Memorable moments include having to get right over the front wheel on the descent of Bolihop Common to keep the wheel on the ground in the crosswind, and the long slog back into the teeth of a gale.

1. David Cook, 1:56:13
2. Keith Murray 1:57.09

I think Carl Helliwell was third with 2.00.37.

Other local riders:

Pete Selton (Clifton) 2:46:34
Matt Lunn (Team Swift) 2:11:49
Steve Savage (Clifton) 2:21:41
Charlie Evans (Clifton) 2:08:03
Arthur Clune (Clifton) 2:18:15
Nigel Goscinski (Clifton) 2:18:14
Matt Shipley (Clifton, J), 2:12:33

Excellent rides from Matt and Charlie in the conditions. I've got all the results written down so will try and get them into the database over lunchtime.

by Rob Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 am
Arthur wrote:Teesdale was very, very windy. Memorable moments include having to get right over the front wheel on the descent of Bolihop Common to keep the wheel on the ground in the crosswind, and the long slog back into the teeth of a gale.

.... Teesdale is always value for money :wink:
Well done to all of you.

Come on Kit, what happened at Kippax!

by Iain M Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:37 am
On Saturday, I rode the Otley CC 10 (http://www.otley10.co.uk/). The event was well organised and was on a new course - V214 - which is an out-and-back on the A168 (Topcliffe - South Kilvington - Topcliffe). I managed to get a PB (25:34) :)

by MarkA Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:03 am
Given the final tally of Clifton riders on the 3b was 13 this is an amazing account of a v healthy and active club

+ Iain and Clare helped out Sunday - my thanks to them

How are we going to get this lot in the Evening Press - there's enough here for about a month!

by Kit Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:33 pm
As mentioned in Paul's post I rode, and won, the Pete Gannon (2/3/4) at Kippax. Ten laps of a 5 mile circuit with the only climb a slight drag up to the finish with a false flat to follow. After a failed attack the first time through the finish I sat in for a couple of laps and then spent the next 10 miles or so trying to get away whilst fairly heavily marked by the bunch. I finally broke free, crossing the gap to a small group containing 2 of my Rutland CC training partners. This group of 10 worked sporadically with some passengers, and I told the Rutlanders to attack with me over the finish with 2 laps remaining. Phil (Holwell) did, Mark (Mallender) didn't have the legs, one other lad came too making us three working hard to maintain the gap.
Having received a first cat licence earlier in the week (slightly prematurely points-wise) I had no real interest in the points and was trying to set up a win for Phil. We tried to work a 1-2, attacking in turn, but were all together for the sprint which I won by several lengths (Phil was third).
Now I can't ride 2nd cat races, so don't expect the same frequency of wins!

Look out for York based junior Phil Graves - he was very strong at the Tour of the Border over Easter and won the Sid Standard junior race yesterday, beating the cream of Britain's juniors in the process (including the highly rated Adam Blyth :shock: )

by like my bike Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:43 am
Kit - Congrats on 1st cat a bit of a result so early in season

A J

by paulM Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:39 pm
Yes - Congratulations Kit on getting your first cat. Winnings never easy and we understand that it will tougher now you are a first cat - so if you can manage a win every other week from now on, that should keep most people happy!

by Arthur Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 am
I bet there's a lot of relieved second cats around now! Congratulations.
by andystanforth Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 pm
There were 3 of us at the Hambleton I think. Paul, Anthony and Myself. All bunch finishers.

Can anyone tell me the course for the warter TT on Sat?

Andy S

by Arthur Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:41 am
COURSE DETAILS: V768. POCKLINGTON Start at lamp post No. 2 St. Helens Road approximately 30m from the B1246. Turn left into the B1246 and proceed to Warter, (4.5 miles). Turn left after the village pond and proceed to Huggate, (7.5 miles). Left at the T junction and continue to Millington Valley junction (8.2 miles). With care, turn right and down into Millington Valley continue up to the T junction, (Pocklington - Givendale, 12.7 miles). Turn left towards Pocklington T.I (14.5 miles). Take the second left to proceed to T junction B1246, turn left (14.6 miles). Continue to the start at St. Helens Road (15.2 miles). First lap 15.2 miles Commence second lap. Retrace first lap, with the finish a further 2.1 miles beyond the start, (B1246). 32.5 miles