Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by fatsprinter Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am
Just out of interest, the following info would help with handicapping using the formula of ave speed = total distance/total time

If a certain average speed is aimed for, for each group, a suitable time gap could be given. I think the front group should aim for 22mph and the fast group for 23.5 mph (or quicker). Therefore the front group would do it in 82 minutes and the fast group in 76/77. This would mean a 6 minute gap, or 7 mintutes in the fast group wanted a challenge. What do you think?

Minutes Ave Speed
90 > 20.0
89 > 20.2
87 > 20.6
86 > 20.9
85 > 21.1
84 > 21.4
83 > 21.6
82 > 22.0
81 > 22.2
80 > 22.5
79 > 22.7
78 > 23.1
77 > 23.3
76 > 23.7
75 > 24.0

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by like my bike Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:10 am
Good idea, how about a 5 mins gap and see how it goes. As said previously the principle is good is just needs fine tuning

The first group also need the 'heads up' when their about to get caught. It was a bit hairy this week as we caught them on a bend and were riding 3 abreast!!!.

A J

by stevesavage Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:27 am
I would go for the longer time difference (7mins) as the first group is likely to have people who are less experienced in doing through-and-off and need time to settle into a rhytmn, whilst the faster group would be more settled from the start. On Tuesday we had to slow down a few times to regroup and ensure everyone knew what to do.

by fatsprinter Sun May 06, 2007 10:24 pm
Excellent chain gang last Tuesday. Split up into two groups before the start. Initially great reluctance from riders to volunteer for scratch group, but eventually volunteered for by Simon Wright. Scratch group set off 5 mins after first group (allegedly).

First group progressed well looking to average 22mph to try and stay away. Group settled down and worked well together, without working too hard on the way out. Everyone took 30 second intervals in one line. I was about 165bpm for my turns at the front with the speed around 22/23mph. Everyone was working comfortably, but still working. It was good as everyone seemed to adapt well to sitting on wheels and doing turns. Good group riding practice.

Scratch group must have murdered themselves to catch the first group as they had caught us by half way. Simon (tester) had put in some hard turns I believe. Perhpas they had worked a little too hard to catch us so soon. Anyway, group got over the hills together and the handicapping must have worked to a degree as more or less everyone took turns on the way back. I little scrappy to begin with, but then it got organised. The scratch group may have been a little tired by their efforts to catch the front group so got an excellent workout and made it a little easier for everyone to work together when it all came together.

It was a good workout for everyone and everone stayed together untill at least out of Rufforth, so a success there. I believe everyone got a good workout, scratch group and slow group. I averaged 167bpm and 22.8mph for the 28.8 miles and did it in 1hr 16 mins dead. The scratch group did it in 1hr 13 mins, meaning they only gave us 3 minutes for the 28.8 miles. (some 5 minutes). (Tip for the ladies - Never trust a bloke to give you estimations, as he'll tell you anything is 180cm)!! (Next time 5 mins would be nice!!).

Interestingly, this was 1pmh faster than the front groups average speed. 23.8mph is some going. Well done. Considering most of this was done in the first half of the circuit, they must have been really tramming.

A good session was had by all. Two groups again this Tuesday? The generall consensus was that it was a good training session, although one person did prefer the sociable nature of riding out slower. I do know Paul M (muzzy) does prefer a harder session all the way round and I would tend to agree with him. Chain gang is a training session, not a social session, but then again, it is up to the people out on the ride to decide.

Anyone up for two groups again this Tuesday? Scratch group setting off at 6.15pm and the slower one 6/7 mins before. And now the nights are gettng longer, how about two laps?? It would be easy to work out time gaps by adding on about another 5 miles? I presume there is also another TLI this Tuesday so there may be reduced numbers?

Looking forward to another good Tuesday session. :D

Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Mon May 07, 2007 11:16 am
Yep, it's the second of the TLI series, Kirby Hill circuit for anyone who fancies an evening with a number on their back! 5:15 departure from the roundabout, Arthur?

by Andy J Mon May 07, 2007 4:10 pm
Being in the scratch group admittingly we did go too hard to begin with on tuesday, Im aware that there was quite a mix of ability out but I did find it too easy on the way back as one group, When on the front my HR was only getting to 150bpm and by the time I got to the back of the slow line it was well down into the 120's, maybe we need to be looking at keeping the two groups completely seperate

by Arthur Mon May 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Phil - 5.15 yup.

Chaingang - might as well keep the two groups separate, or at least only catch at the end. That'll work out over time though.

Colin - two laps. Maybe not? You've just made it harder by riding hard from the start. Two laps just mean you're going to ride slower - not many of us are good enough to ride really hard for an hour and a half.

by fatsprinter Mon May 07, 2007 7:28 pm
One lap it is then. The idea would be for the first group to stay away until nearly the end. The scratch group would then have to work consistently hard to catch them. As mentioned, the scratch group only actually gave 3 minutes headstart, (the tight so and sos') so perhaps if they give a 'real' 5 or 6 mins, it should make it more interesting.

Happy racing those who are.

Schaarf!!