Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm
Having stood inline at Stokeley(Neil White Mem) for Entry on Line I got the last place available number 80.

Decide to enter the next 4 races in plenty of time I sent my entry for Wetwang on the 20th March. Have just had a call from the race organiser to say Im 4th reserve.

The 3rd and 4th cat stuff seems to be very popular this year, so if you want to race get in early.

Also heard Darley Moor (closed circuit) had 130 3rd and 4th cat riders at the weekend.

Anybody had any similar experiences?

A J

by matt Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm
Have just recieved my entries back for both Dave Mckay and wetwang which i also thought i'd entered in plenty of time. Will be sending my entries off in January next year...

by paulM Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:25 pm
Guys - why presume entering early will assume you will get an entry? Organisers should wait until the closing date before selecting their field - not just waiting for the first 70 entries to drop through their letterboxes. I'm afraid the harsh reality is you haven't got the results to put on your forms.
I think the organisers are correct if they are waiting until the closing date but very wrong to be sending entries back from riders just because they haven't (at the moment) got much to put on their entry forms - these aren't big time races and everyone has to start somewhere. They are basically showing their ignorance of the sport as they are depriving two newcomers WHO ARE VERY LOCAL TO BOTH THESE EVENTS & both RIDE FOR ANOTHER ORGANISING CLUB. On the 2 occasions I organised our event this is how I was proposing to base selection. Early entry came after this. However I never quite got full fields - that does make it more difficult for organisers.
When filling out forms you need to be vague about your results - you need some "bunch" finishes on their with no specific results - make organisers believe you at leat make it to the finish with the bunch - you know what I mean!
It shows the state of BC - more intersested in the World stage than grassroots road racing. There aren't enough events to cater for the number of riders anymore or should I say not enough organising clubs.
Juat keep getting the enties in at least 3 wks in advance.

by PhilBixby Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:44 am
Hmmm... ...are you *sure* that's how other race organisers go about it, Paul? I've never had a race entry returned in three years, and I've never noted a single previous result on any entries! I always enter early and rely on them - rightly or wrongly - simply taking the first 70...

by paulM Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:49 pm
No I'm not Phil and feel sure every organiser has a different view on selecting a field, but if an organiser just takes the first 70 he is effectively closing the event early?
I've always filled the form out correctly with my best results from current & prev season and have not had any entries returned in the last few years. I'm also fairly sure I'd have entered the Dave McKay event after Matt and have not yet had my entry returned. I always enter just before the closing date.
Don't get me wrong, getting your entry in early will do no harm but I also think a few prev performances should be on there even if you have to be economical with the truth!

by Mike81 Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am
How do you know if your entry has been accepted? I sent my entry off for the Hambleton Road Race 4/5 weeks before the race. Do the organisers return your entry form and cheque if you are not entered?

Thanks

Mike

by Rob Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 am
Yep, returned entry form/cheque if you're not in. No news is good news!

by like my bike Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:11 pm
We have received the first entry for our road race!!!!

A J