Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Arthur Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 pm
Makes sense to me. We'd need to let people decide at the start what groups they are going to be in....

by PhilBixby Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 pm
...or make sure everyone was aware of an arrangement where if you're dropped from the front group on the loop section (or just want a slightly easier pace) then you make sure you re-group at the right turn off the loop onto the road back and ride as a group. The intention on the return leg would then be to ride nice and smooth, rolling through, as fast as the group as a whole can manage. If it's all fallen into two groups anyway by that point then fine, carry on. But the idea should be to ensure no-one rides back alone, unless they arrive at the re-group point and tell everyone to go on without them.

by PhilBixby Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:10 am
Apologies to all for my cr*p ride in yesterday's chaingang - not sure if head or legs were at fault or some unhealthy combination; wobbly front wheel didn't help. Anyway.. ..the two groups seemed to look like it'd work with some fine tuning.

And.. ..congrats to Colin H and Robyn, now parents!

by paulM Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 pm
Its ok Phil - I don't think anyone noticed.

Yes congrats to Colin & Robyn. I'm glad to see Colins getting his priorities right and managed to make the chaingang, although I do believe he didn't come straight out from the hospital?

Yes the 2 group strategy worked well but I think we need to set off in 2 groups just to avoid any hanging about during the ride. Perhaps if the front group were given 3 mins head start from the roundabout and the 2nd group rode out fairly briskly (I think the ride out is too steady at the moment anyway) and then maintain a gap if we start to pull them back on the way out. It doesn't really matter if we don't actually manage to catch them at all. Comments please?

by Arthur Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 am
Paul - sounds an excellent plan to me. Given that most of us are TLI'ing next week there may not be enough for two groups on Tuesday, but we should try your plan the week after.

by fatsprinter Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:29 am
An excellent chain gang, only spoilt for me by breaking a spoke. That's what you get for being fat. Paul has an excellent idea and one I've be thinking about. To set off two groups from the beginning would be excellent. That would ensure a good workout from the beginning for everyone as it does go out too easy. Races start hard and so should the chain gang. It could be worked like a proper handicap. I have no pretences of being in any other group that the front group and would welcome a good workout without killing myself at the moment. I'd go for four minutes though!!! Excellent idea Paul.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Rob Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:28 am
PhilBixby wrote:And.. ..congrats to Colin H and Robyn, now parents!

Did anyone actually ask Colin what sort of baby, name, how Robyn is etc??? It is customery to pass this sort of data on you know..... :wink:

by fatsprinter Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:07 pm
Benjamin Thomas (a boy!!) I believe, don't know any further details yet.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:42 pm
Indeed, details as per fatsprinter's inside info, young lad was about ten weeks early and hence in intensive care but is fine and no problems are expected. Robyn was due for a few days stay in hospital (partly to to be near the nipper) but was fine, according to Colin.

Colin has cancelled his entry in Sunday's vets race, so he's taking it seriously :D

by Rob Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:03 pm
Am glad it's a little boy as it makes that mental image of a baby with a goatee a little less traumatic :wink: