Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:30 pm
How did it all go then?

Neil White RR?
Harrogate Nova TT?
Saturday rides?

With everything else going on there were fewer than usualout today. Belting route though around Armscliffe Crag and Lindley Res to Otley. The sensible ones then went back via Bramhope and Thorner while us die-hards went around Blubberhouses and Thruscroft Res and back via Burnt Yates and Scotton. Great day out.

by PhilBixby Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:20 pm
Neil White Memorial Pursuit:- Muzzy, Andy Johnston, Andy Stanforth and I went up. Muzzy and I got there about an hour before the start but there was a HUGE queue for EOL and Paul didn't get a ride.

The thus reduced Clifton contingent all went off in the first of three groups for the 54-miler. Between us we spent a lot of time on the front during the first few laps. I had a go off the front with Paul Hickman and another fella which seemed quite promising but got pulled back during the long back stretch into a stiff headwind, following which Andy J attacked, following which the first of the fast groups caught us and the fastest in the group - including both Andys - upped the pace and stayed with them. My legs hadn't recovered and I slotted in with four others to finish the distance without further drama.

One of the Andys can give us the view from the front...

by Kit Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:12 pm
I rode the Jack Granger, a 60 mile E/1/2/3 race near Leicester. I was in the leading group of 6 for 3 of the 6 laps after which we were caught by a further 10 or so riders. This group was too big to work properly so 5 of us attacked on the longest of the drags and got enough of a gap to stay away from the chasers by working very hard in the wind. With about 2k to go 3 riders got away, someone I didn't recognise who had EOL'd (riding for Corley Cycles) won with Tom Smith (Merlin) 2nd and Andy Proffitt (Arctic Shorter Rochford) 3rd. I won the sprint for 4th against Matt Bottrill (De Rosa), Dave Clarke led home the fragmented bunch.
So, a pleasing result and some points on the board (and aching legs and lungs!).
by mal Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:36 am
Rob wrote:How did it all go then?

The sensible ones then went back via Bramhope and Thorner ...

... and very pleasant it was too ...

by paulM Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:43 pm
I hate entering on the line and I think it must be a sign of old age that I forgot to get the entry in in time for the Neil White pursuit. But I thought so what its a pursuit in March - surely they will take everyone on the line? However after continuous horizontal snow last year conditions were very spring like and the organisers took 80 and that was that - thats the first time in 20 successive seasons I've not got a ride on the line.
However I was home by 11:00 and had a ride with Cath in the afternoon to tweak the good bikes.
We have both entered the Harrogate Nova TT a week on Sat and I'll enter the Brid CC RR the following week. Looking forward to it.

Great ride by Kit in a high quality field.

by menticknap Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:15 pm
PhilBixby wrote:Between us we spent a lot of time on the front during the first few laps. I had a go off the front with Paul Hickman and another fella which seemed quite promising.

I was the "other", Matthew Enticknap with Paul Hickman from Malton Wheelers. Was a good ride, weather was great although a bit windy.
Watch out for Malton Wheelers this year, we're riding strong.

by BroomWagon Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 pm
You all seemed pretty strong last year as well on the GYBR, especially when you all disappeared over the top of Terrington - shouldn't have bothered with the lunch stop though :wink: