Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:11 am
As posted elsewhere the Bridge at Stamford closed for repair last Sunday for 12 weeks.

BEWARE!!!!!!!

Traffic is being diverted onto the A1079 and more importantly through BUTTCRAMBE.

Saturday training riders

As you come down the narrow lane from Upper Helmsley the quiet road you join and turn left is a diversion route and now a bus route, buses approaching from the right.

At Buttercrambe there are now traffic lights controlling traffic over the bridge.

Generally there is an increased volume of traffic in the whole area.

Take care

A J

by Arthur Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 am
Maybe time to ponder a change of route? I'm away this weekend, but there are other options we could use. How about going out via Haxby, Terrington, Hovingham, turn left in the village up past the big hall and then back over towards Crakye way. Back in via Strensall again to avoid the B road into York.

by PhilBixby Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am
Likewise I'll not be out this Saturday, but another regular 2½hr ride of mine is Appleton Roebuck - Tadcaster - Bramham - loop out to Thorner and back - Boston Spa - Thorp Arch - Tockwith - York. Bit flatter than the usual one but has advantage of usual chaingang route on return for upping the pace a bit.

Alternative would be stick to usual route but avoid Buttercrambe area by going straight on instead of right at Upper Helmsley, then Sand Hutton - Bossall and rejoin the Malton backroad at Galley Gap.

Wherever you all go, can someone take charge and try to keep it safe on Saturday?

by paulM Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:03 am
Use the same route but just carry on out of Upper Helmsley for Sand Hutton, Claxton then right for Bossall, Howsham and turn left at the top of Gally Gap for Malton. As the diversion is only over the bridge in Buttercrambe the Malton road after Gally Gap shouldn't be any busier. Its just a suggestion as I won't be out either.
by ClaireG Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 am
After making the novice mistake of attempting to tweak my handlebar height only 10mins before I was due to leave for the square, was late leaving home to get to the square.

But up on Stockton Lane I met up with SimonW, both Colins and Andy J. We waited 5 mins, then soft pedalled for a while, expecting the group from the square to overhaul us - but no? Where did you get out to? Perhaps a different direction?

The 5 of us followed Paul's suggestion of Claxton - Bossall - Howsham - Gally Gap, to join the usual route - thanks for that, it made for a relatively traffic free route.

Thanks to the guys for waiting up for me, enjoyed having company & slipstreams for much longer than normal!

So what about the main group?
by like my bike Sat May 26, 2007 9:49 pm
The Bridge at Stamford is now open! You may want to return to original Saturday training ride route

A J
by Arthur Sun May 27, 2007 9:26 am
ClaireG wrote:But up on Stockton Lane I met up with SimonW, both Colins and Andy J. We waited 5 mins, then soft pedalled for a while, expecting the group from the square to overhaul us - but no?
So what about the main group?

There's effecively been no main group for a time now. The only thing that's happening on a Saturday training-wise is the option to follow Tony Grant round, and that goes wherever he wants to go, and isn't training either.

It'll pick up again when the racing stops I guess, or just post here the day before to see if there will be a training group?

by PhilBixby Sun May 27, 2007 10:43 am
Brian, Hans and I did the "usual" route yesterday (or at least, a scenic variation of it), while Tony and a larger group headed off somewhere. It was certainly training, according to my legs afterwards.

I agree with the idea of posting/checking here though - it might encourage a few more out if there's a regular group and a predictable return time. I should be out again next weekend.