Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:13 am
What a shame that CTT didn't give a bit more notice of their campaign to get clubs running "lookalike" prologues to get public interest in the TdF prologue. A bit of advanced notice to allow some negotiation with the local police, council etc, to capitalise on quieter evening traffic and cyclists allowed into the pedestrianised city centre...

...how about:-

Start outside Betty's (they could do a special edition Yorkshire Skinny Rascal), out along Davygate/Parliament Street/Piccadilly, down Blue Bridge Lane and left onto the riverside cycleway, over the Millenium Bridge, Butcher Terrace and give it full gas down Bishy Road to a quick loop of left-handers in Bishopthorpe, then back in along Bishy Road, right down Butcher Terrace, into town along the riverside along Terry Avenue, left and left again at the Bonking Warehouse and over the river, left into Clifford Street and straight on into Coney Street, finish in front of the Mansion House!

by Rob Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:29 pm
8)

But to be fair it's not just the CTT's job to come up with the ideas is it? If we really, really wanted to organise something like this then we COULD make it happen by July... That said, I don't believe that it should be Clifton's priority to organise elite level competition at this stage given the relative pausity of members willing to share the responsibility of promotion....

In the meantime let's get enthusiastic about what we can promote! Joe public will watch the stars complete the 7.9 km prologue in London in 9 mins 10 sec and wonder what they could do. We talked at the committee meeting last night about adapting one of our regular Thursday evening events to be 7.9 km and making it a "come and try it" event for all with heavy publicity. Timed for mid July it could be a real hit.

As one of the threads last year discussed, some potential novices do not want their results published, never mind have to perform in front of the public! So while Sheriff Hutton might not be The Mall, it may well turn out to be fit for purpose!

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 pm
"But to be fair it's not just the CTT's job to come up with the ideas is it? If we really, really wanted to organise something like this then we COULD make it happen by July... That said, I don't believe that it should be Clifton's priority to organise elite level competition at this stage given the relative pausity of members willing to share the responsibility of promotion.... "

I know, I was just stirring.. 8) As for "elite level" - hell, I fancied having a go at it myself!

I think the Thursday evening have-a-go session's an excellent idea - the TdF in the UK is a once-in-not-very-often chance to capture the public imagination.

by like my bike Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:26 pm
Tour de France + London hoisting Prologue = Best time for cycling fun day!

A J