Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:34 pm
Another good day though a bit wet. These Saturday rides are really bringing me on a treat. Sorry if I was a bit disruptive on the through and off towards Strensall, but after last week I was trying to push myself. Judging by how my legs feel walking upstairs I seem to have achieved that.

One problem with Clifton having such a good strip is that loads of people (myself included) like to wear it, but it gets a bit hard to tell who's who. Can anyone fill me in on who was out today?

by like my bike Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Are you the guy with the Campag cap? I was on the Airbourne, Clifton top, blue and white helmet.

A J

by PhilBixby Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:51 pm
It was a good ride. I'm not sure what sort of speed the "fast" group were doing earlier in the year because I was always with the slower one, but the last two Saturdays have been around 18.5mph ave. The route we've been using avoiding Terrington has the same amount of climbing, too.

I always feel a terrible fraud, since I only got into this cycling lark so recently, lecturing anyone on through-and-off technique - but it does work best if everyone keeps it smooth and knocks a little speed off when they pull over to the slower line. These youngsters with their energy to spare - honestly, what are we to do with 'em?!

I was the old bloke on the Cervelo, but then you know that already!

So, Broomwagon - TLI racing on Tuesday nights??

by stevesavage Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:26 pm
I wasn't there so can't really comment, but if you search back through this forum I posted some guidelines on chaingang technique. Basically the only place you should be accelerating is at the BACK when moving from the slower line to the faster line. As Phil says when at the front you should be easing off slightly to let the next guy through smoothly. If you are feeling strong do LONGER not faster turns. Lecture over!

by BroomWagon Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:07 pm
Like my bike: yep that was me in the cap. Was that you on the front after the descent from Castle Howard or was that you with the impressive show of speed over the bridge into Strensall?

Phil: I don't find the route we've done the last two weeks as hard, the short climbs suit me better. Be interesting for me to see how I do once we're back on the old route. Don't think I'll have any energy to spare though unfortunately I've other commitments next Saturday. I'm keen to do a bit of Road Racing this year. If all goes to plan (and it seems to be so far) I should be going about as well as I can in May or June and I will definitely be 3 or 4kgs lighter. TLI would be a good thing to do, but if its got any middle to longish climbs I'll just get spat out of the back :(

Steve S: I knew I was being a bit unfair to Phil at the time because he was unfortunate enough to be following me so that's why I started this posting with an apology. Sometimes there's a bit of the :twisted: in all of us. I'll be good next time. That said though, I don't think there's anything I can do that could really put Phil into trouble.