Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Greg Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am
Having read through the CliftonCC web page and thinking I had the suitable level of fitness and stamina to join an organised ride, I joined Kevin and his group on the newcomers ride Saturday 17th Feb, I set off in good spirits thinking this is Ok but after a few miles at the same pace (a respectable 13/14mph)I soon found myself falling further and further back, despite encouragement from all the group it didn't stop my legs screaming out in pain, my brain telling me I must be mad and generally feeling I was out of my depth, But not one to give up without a fight I continued and kept up as best I could, despite a couple of stops for cycle repairs (gave me the much needed respite) we eventually ended up in Pocklington for a much appreciated tea break this was only after I had to be pushed along for several miles.(Pocklington doesn't seen that far from York in a car) we eventually set off back and returned back in york, (the long way again) For me it was a total of 54.6 miles of pain and suffering but after a good soak in the bath a sit down on a soft sofa and a bit of pampering I realised that I had actually enjoyed myself and would try to get a bit fitter and go on another ride. I just would like to give Kevin and the Group a big thank you for putting up with my huffing,puffing,winging and moaning and generally holding them up most if not all of the way round, Hope to see you again. Greg [/img]

by Arthur Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm
Don't worry - I was pushed back the last few miles on my first few club runs. Happy memories! It does get a lot easier if you just stick at it.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Cheers,

Arthur

by cath Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm
Glad you had a good time

It does get easier so long as you keep at it - I've been pushed a few miles as well!

Hope to see you again

Cath
by Al Christie Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:31 pm
Good call Greg,

I had exactly the same experience of Kev's ride on a couple of occassions (including the struggling at the end). I just want to echo your sentiments and thank Kev and Cath everyone for all of the encouragement and support. I don't have a lot of experience of cycling clubs (none in fact) but strikes me that Clifton is a pretty special club (regardless of the sport)!

Thanks to Kev, my enthusiasm for cycling has taken off so dramatically the week is full of turbo trainers, commuting and wondering how I can convince my wife that carbon fibre really would help. Saturday I now have to go cycling with my wife (which is fun as well of course) and haven't seen anyone since - sorry!

Can anyone tell me what the Clifton Reliability (100kms) this weekend like? Is it open to everyone? I can't get out on Saturday anymore, so this seems like a good way to test the stamina and seeing whether I could manage a clubrun on a Sunday. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Al

by Rob Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:47 pm
Hi Al,

The Clifton Reliability was about a month ago! Still, just get yourself down the Square on Sunday at 0900 and we'll look after you! We've recently been doing about 70-80 miles at about 15-15.5 mph average with a short cafe stop. Back in York about 3pm. If the usual Sat morning would be fairly comfortable for you now then you'll manage the Sunday ride (you'll probably be stretched a bit - but, hey, that's a good thing!)

The other ride to look out for is Clifton's 3 Bridges Audax. Check out the web site http://www.cliftoncc.org/static.php?con ... ee_bridges. This year it's on 22/4. Book a place by emailing Mark on mark@parkgrove.org.

See you out there.

Rob
by Al Christie Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:33 pm
Thanks for the reply - sounds like a nightmare! Ah well have to give it a go...I watched you all going from Ganthorpe to Terrington before Christmas and it looked like a fair old pace. I'll bring my mobile phone, so I don't have to hold you up.

Thanks again for the response