Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:56 pm
OK, so after much consulation I have a proposed programme of events which we can hopefully enter en masse and ride together (I do understand though that many of you like these Sportifs as you can ride hard at your own pace - which is also fine of course).

So this is the suggestion:

3 Bridges, 22 April
YH Weekend, Hawes, 12/13 May
Richmond 5 Dales Sportif 100 mile, 26 May
Dales Grimpeur 180, 2 (?) June
Yorkshire Alps, 17 June
Ron Kit, 24 June
Coast to Coast, July
Spurn Head, 4 August
Tan Hill, 18 August
Arthur Metcalfe, Sept
YH Weekend, 13/14 Oct

Any thoughts? There's a lot there. Any major clashes anyone can see? I'll probably do most of them, though not the Ron Kit. The C to C is dependent on enough interest. Yorkshire Alps and Spurn Head will be run off as glorified clubruns. The Hawes weekend will have two routes on the Saturday. The hard one up Swaledale to Kirkby Stephen and back over Mallerstang, the easier one up Wensleydale.

Please let me know your thoughts.

R

by like my bike Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:52 am
Rob

A good selection of rides I'm already entered for the Richmond ride and like the sound of the coast to coast any idea of the route? Might manage one other.

A J

by Arthur Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:10 pm
I've just printed an entry form for the richmod ride. Will send it off tonight.

by Rob Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:47 pm
like my bike wrote:Rob

A good selection of rides I'm already entered for the Richmond ride and like the sound of the coast to coast any idea of the route? Might manage one other.

The C to C ride was Broomwagon's idea and I think he has a route suggestion.

by BroomWagon Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:02 pm
Rob

I shall be doing the three bridges, Mark should already have my entry.

I hadn't intended to do the Richmond 5 dales because it's my birthday and Liz might be a bit upset if she's planned something nice and I disappear off on the bike all day. Though as there's going to be a strong club presence I might be tempted.

I will be doing the Dales Grimpeur but the 215km version, having accidentially cut it short last year, I've unfinished business there. And I'm probably going to be antisocial, it's a long day and I might want to tonk on a bit after Pateley to take advantage of the flatter bit.

I'm not going to be able to do the Ron Kit this year. Having done it at least 3 times it's a shame because it's a good day.

Coast to Coast, I know you mentioned YHA but I'd prefer us all chipping in for a minibus and fuel. I know that I'd have to go with the majority but surely if you overnight you're going have to carry some stuff back with you on the bike. Even a toothbrush is more weight than I want to carry over hardknott. I might even be able to talk my dad into being our driver, that would mean we'd have a back up vehicle for any mechanical failure. Bad news is we'd probably need to be away from York at about 5am. If you're doing it the 1st week in July I'm out of it as I'm racing in France (ok not exactly racing, more tootling about a bit on my bike now and then, but it sounded good :wink: ).

I might also do Tan Hill again.

Don't forget the Etape Du Dales, shame you're not doing it, but Clifton is about the best represented of all the cycling clubs, it'll be nice to have a few Cliftonites to say hello as they pass me (perhaps we could all start together)?

by Arthur Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:18 pm
I'm doing the Etape. I should also be up for the long Dales Grimpeur.

by Rob Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:13 pm
BroomWagon wrote:Rob

I shall be doing the three bridges, Mark should already have my entry.

I hadn't intended to do the Richmond 5 dales because it's my birthday and Liz might be a bit upset if she's planned something nice and I disappear off on the bike all day. Though as there's going to be a strong club presence I might be tempted.

I will be doing the Dales Grimpeur but the 215km version, having accidentially cut it short last year, I've unfinished business there. And I'm probably going to be antisocial, it's a long day and I might want to tonk on a bit after Pateley to take advantage of the flatter bit.

I'm not going to be able to do the Ron Kit this year. Having done it at least 3 times it's a shame because it's a good day.

Coast to Coast, I know you mentioned YHA but I'd prefer us all chipping in for a minibus and fuel. I know that I'd have to go with the majority but surely if you overnight you're going have to carry some stuff back with you on the bike. Even a toothbrush is more weight than I want to carry over hardknott. I might even be able to talk my dad into being our driver, that would mean we'd have a back up vehicle for any mechanical failure. Bad news is we'd probably need to be away from York at about 5am. If you're doing it the 1st week in July I'm out of it as I'm racing in France (ok not exactly racing, more tootling about a bit on my bike now and then, but it sounded good :wink: ).

I might also do Tan Hill again.

Don't forget the Etape Du Dales, shame you're not doing it, but Clifton is about the best represented of all the cycling clubs, it'll be nice to have a few Cliftonites to say hello as they pass me (perhaps we could all start together)?

I know that Mark has your entry for 3 Bridges, indeed you are #1!

C-C: My YHA suggestion was for the night before so that we don't have to leave York at silly-o-clock. Therefore you will not have to carry your toothbrush. Also a minibus' on first investigation, appears expensive and a couple of cars may be the answer (one driven by your dad?). But we can discuss details closer to the date. Which weekends in July can you make - as proposer would appear silly to exclude you!

Etap du Dales: as I'm aware this was full long ago so no point in advertising it for more entries! - suggest those of you that are riding get it together via the forum?

R

by BroomWagon Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:04 pm
Nice to be number 1 in something.

I've put the route I intended for a coast to coast on www.bikely.com. If you do a search on either, st bees, whitby or coast to coast it should come up. 150 miles with nearly 3000m of climbing, it has the makings of an epic.

I couldn't do the ride with you if it was 1st till 8th July and I don't think my dad would want an overnight stay. I might take the option of meeting you at St Bees first thing in the morning.

by Rob Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:39 pm
:shock: "I couldn't do the ride with you if it was 1st till 8th July and I don't think my dad would want an overnight stay. I might take the option of meeting you at St Bees first thing in the morning."

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's months away and there's loads of options to check out.....

by Helen Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:56 pm
Rob, I would like to make most of the rides but know I can't go on the Hawes yh weekend. I can only do the coast to coast if its a sleep over on Saturday and ride Sunday.I best start getting some rides in def need hill climbing practice.
by Willy H Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:24 am
I'll be doing most of these, but prob not Kitchin, cert not Tan Hill, regrettably (sailing then), not anything on w/e 8/9 Sep. Would be excellent if we can get at least half dozen or more out on each of these rides in Clifton colours, as last year's Grimpeur. Willy

by Rob Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 pm
I assume "I'll be doing them" = approval?
:wink:

by stevesavage Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:10 pm
Good list Rob. We're becoming spoilt for choice with so many new rides being organised. Maybe there should be a trophy for anyone who rides all of them!

Couple of events not mentioned which might be of interest:
Ryedale Rumble on Sat 23 June - the long route looks especially bonkers.
http://www.bcyorkshire.com/html/the_ryedale_rumble.htm

Phil & Friends ride on Sun 12 August. A nice route around the Peak District which Arthur and I have done for the last few years. A good warm up for Tan Hill the following weekend.

by MarkA Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 pm
Like the look of the Rumble - excellent
I did wonder whether that weekend was a good one for our proposed family / social event - maybe something for another thread
Not sure what i will be up to at the moment in terms of riding
But even if i dont manage much else will be organising our 2 audaxes
+ hopefully riding the Ron Kit
And then buoyed by success might go for Spurn Head + a n other
Even the mid version of the Dales Grimp might be pushing it for me this year - but if anyone fancies the "easy" one nearer to the time .....