Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:23 pm
I've just rang the YEP. It was Gary Brown.

by BroomWagon Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 pm
That's terrible news - Gary was a great bloke.

by PhilBixby Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm
We're in a very glum state here. He was a friend over many years of my other half, as a regular customer in her deli. He was a regular partner on training rides as both he and I were able to get out in the day during the week. When I found the news article it rang warning bells with me - he had a regular route out to Buttercrambe, across the main road at Garrowby Hill and on to Bishop Wilton, and then hammering whoever he'd lured out with him up Great Givendale. I tried his home and mobile numbers before phoning the YEP newsdesk.. ..I got the journalist who was writing a tribute piece; he was just about to phone Gary's wife. It's awful. He'd rung me yesterday morning about going out for a ride. I wanted to do some sprints and he'd given me an earful in that geordie accent of "ohhhhhha nooooa.." and said he wanted a steady ride... a couple of hours later he was on Garrowby Hill. He'll be much missed. I'll contact the lads at Cycleworks and find out what arrangements are for funeral etc and post any info here.

by BroomWagon Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:25 pm
I remember years ago on a club run heading up to Crayke, in one of my not bright moments I though it would be a good idea to adjust my front quick release whilst cycling along, result head butting the tarmac at 18mph. It was Gary that flagged down a passing car to take me to hospital and then took my bike to the Durham Ox for me to pick up later. It was then Gary who called round later to see I was ok. He was a really nice bloke, always friendly and whilst its a while since I'd chatted to him I'll miss him and I'm gutted about the news.

by PhilBixby Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:28 am
Gary's funeral will be at 9am on Thursday, at the crematorium at Bishopthorpe. I don't have any more information than that at present, but will post it when I have.