Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Can'tstop Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:24 pm
As a non-member on the outside looking in, I've always been impressed with the number of rides and competitions you organise on a regular basis. So much so that I've often flirted with the idea of filling in the form and applying for membership. You may ask why I haven't taken this logical step? The answer is quite simple; I fall more on the side of the mud spattered, chain rattling, arm pumping, 'clingonfordearlife' XC and downhill mountain biking type of rider, and this type of rider does not seem to feature anywhere on your website at all.

Now I appreciate that the Vale of York is a roadie mecca, and the complete absence of any mountains in the immediate vicinity of York does but a dampner on proper mountain biking on the doorstep as it were. But there are so many fantastic trails within easy reach: the Dales, the Moors, the Dark peaks and even the 'manufactured' trails at dalby forest and hamsterley. Surely some of your riders have gone over to the 'dark side' of mountain biking?

Perhaps I could join your club for training and to improve my fitness, (a few well timed Audax's would definitely help my preparation for the Merida MTB marathons in Wales and Scotland this Summer), but I would really like to join a club to meet some like minded people who like cycling through the natural wilderness with a few well deserved beers in a pub at the end of a long trail.

Just my two pence, but thought this might prompt some discussion.

by PhilBixby Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:41 pm
There are off-road bikers in our midst - fear not, you will not be the first. Some currently compete in off-road events, some just get the mountain bike out occasionally, some head off to Castle Howard to do their muddy thing together once spring/summer arrive. Join up and find out who they are - if you've a road bike too then come out on some of the rides and chat people up - there's a mix of interests about.

Phil B

by Arthur Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:48 pm
There's a few people who meet up on Wednesday nights during the summer to go MTB'ing.
by like my bike Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 pm
As previous there are a few of us like to Off Road! I was like you on the outside for a while, but realised the road stuff could significantly improve my fitness & enjoyment of riding off road. We'll start our off road stuff April time. By the way there are a couple of us hoping to ride the XC National Points Series this year.

A J

by MikeG Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:10 pm
As another non member who rides both on and off road (hello Cliftonites!) now I just used to ride Mtb then did some road work to improve fitness. I found I preferred it - probably because of the relative lack of bike cleaning involved - and rarely venture into the mud now, though I may be up for an off road ride or two later in the year.

After a bit of an enforced lay off I'm currently building a bit of fitness before joining you for some miles on a Saturday morning. I'm love to get fast/fit enough to do a bit of racing (wouldn't we all :D ) and am looking forward to a bit of help and encouragement along the way rather than plodding around alone.

See you out there soon!

Mike

by Arthur Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:21 pm
Excellent! Our social Saturday rides are pretty steady paced - you'll probably be able to keep up already. How far/fast do you go currently?

by MikeG Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:36 pm
I have a 25 mile loop from York out to Tadcaster and back which I'm currently doing pretty comfortably at about 18mph (22 last summer).

I used to love the ride out to Helmsley and back over the hills for a 50 and on up to Stokesley for a harder 100. I've not done a longer ride for a good 4 months and had a break with almost no riding for nearly 3 months which has taken it's toll unfortunately.

I think I'd probably be good for a 50 now but I'll need a few more miles in the legs before tackling a longer one!

by Can'tstop Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:43 pm
I'm with Mike on this (although I haven't yet tired of cleaning the filth from my bike).

I'll add some more road miles rides to my usual weekend woodland XC rides and then perhaps 'take the plunge' with a Saturday ride. I'll have to start checking my average speed though.

Does anyone else ride a fixed/SS?

by PhilBixby Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:49 am
Hmmm.. 22mph means a 1:08:00 "25" - sounds like you'd be fine on ANY of the weekend rides!

by like my bike Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:02 pm
Mike G & Can't stop - I started with the Saturday Social rides a couple of years ago which include a cafe stop. Kevin leads these rides and there a great starting point especially if you start now as everythings buildng for the summer, a month of these rides under your belt and you ll wonder why you did nt both years ago.

See you out there!

A J

by MikeG Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:33 pm
Thanks for the encouragement! I have to admit to never having been a member of a club (despite cycling regularly and moderately seriously for 7 or so years) and I've always found the thought of going along quite daunting.

That's why it's a good idea to have a site like this as "outsiders" can see, as I'm realising already, that newcomers would be very welcome and it seems that all abilities are catered for by the different groups/rides.

Promise I'll get along either this Saturday or next. Look forward to meeting you all :)

by Rob Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:43 pm
Just back from holiday and catching up on the forum.

Can I just reiterate the earlier note about the mid-week evening rides around Castle Howard in the summer. Mark listed them in his Cliftonite article as his best rides of 2005 (and this is a "roadie" who finished the Etap last year!) Watch the weekly update as we usually start late April/early May.

by MarkA Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:59 pm
Just read this thread and i think it is mighty interesting

Can'tstop has raised some good issues and i particularly like the bit about joining a club to meet like minded people - exactly my feeling

We are all in this because we enjoy riding our bikes!

Its just some people can spare more time to train and / or are more naturally gifted and can go a bit faster than others.

I have a busy job, young family and not much spare time but really value being a (recent) member of Clifton CC and hope Can'tstop will take the plunge.

Having a go is as much a part of being a member of a club as being the top rider. But sometimes we underestimate what a step this can be.

I don't mind admitting i found it v hard the few races i entered last year but i enjoyed them. Ditto the mtb rides - i fell off a lot but didnt break anything and really enjoyed myself.

As for bikes etc. Just go for it. Fixed / ss - Rob and i rode fixed (on road) for most of the winter and I know Nick favours fixed for his commute.