Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:50 pm
Any thoughts on toughest killer climb in our area, thinking of submitting to Cycling Weekly's Killer Climb article???

Any suggestions - place, length of climb, gear, time is it part of a loop :D
Last edited by like my bike on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A J

by NickScull Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:42 pm
Andy

There are some obvious candidates in Rosedale Chimney, Fleet Moss, Park Rash, Cleveland Bank.

I find Boultby Bank very hard - just gets steeper and steeper then kicks again around the corner when you think you've got to the top.

Mind you I found anything uphill was a killer in a race.

Cheers

Nick

by Rob Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:01 am
Agree with Nick that Boltby Bank is hard (called Sneck Yate Bank on the map). Rosedale is ridiculous but at least not too long.

Climbing Park Rash on the Tandem I nearly lost control of my bowels!

My all time killer list would be outside Yorkshire though. Hardnott from Eskdale in the Lake District. The Marmalada in the Dolomites...... The Stelvio - 52 numbered hairpin bends and 2 vertical kilometres of climbing. Now that's a hill!

My mate Graeme climbed to La Paz from sea level in 2 days (that's 4500m of ascent).

by like my bike Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:44 am
Phil

How about submitting our killer climb to Cycling Weekly its a regular feature in the mag, couple of photos, bit of a story etc. etc. Blakey Ridge 'the half sister of Rosedale Chimney. Fancy a ride out ?

A J

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:17 pm
How can I refuse?! Might need a few people, plus digital cam and reasonable eye for framing a pic. Plus of course good weather.

by Rob Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:37 pm
Rosedale Chimney's evil sister?

Now here's something radical - why not take the clubrun there????

by ChrisC Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:16 pm
I think that if its going to make cycling weekly. Then its going to have to be a killer climb route combining several monsters. It only gets really tough if its climb after climb due to the lack of height of our hills. Anyway count me in.

by like my bike Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:02 pm
Phil camera no problem Im sure we wont be short of volunteers to take the picture.

Club run good idea - Rob can you offer some dates !

Oh have you done the cafe at Danby Moor Centre?

A J

by paulM Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:51 pm
Dont go for Rosedale or Blakey - I believe Rosedales been done and Blakeys hard but not that hard. I would also agree that Boltby Bank is the one - its long & just gets steeper & steeper plus you're already knackered when you get there because of the climb before it! Lets face it when was the last time the club ride went up it??

Anyone else tried either of these two which are also in the Boltby vicinity -
the road from Old Byland near Rievaulx which comes out on the Boltby - Hawnby road - a steep decent into a ford where the road follows the river bed for about 100yds then the climb out is about 25%, narrow & gritty. Had thought about using this one myself just for the novelty element as not many people know about it.
Also the "road " from Hawnby to Kepwick. Honestly the climb on that is about as hard as any I've come across (on a race bike) plus its a loose surface so you are committed to staying in the saddle - it must be 25 - 30% & long. Did both of these on an adventurous training ride in the summer & used White Horse Bank as a warm up - my eyes were nearly popping out of my head!

by Rob Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:16 am
We went up Boltby (Sneck Yate) on the clubrun in September, but no problem doing it again.

Up to you Andy over where you want to go. I'd suggest Danby Moor centre is a bit far for a November clubrun. If you want to do Blakey I'd suggest up that then left to the top of Blakey Ridge then right, down into Rosedale Abbey, up the chimney for a cafe at Hutton le Hole.

Your call Andy.

As for dates it would have to be 19/11 or 10/12 or for added interest Xmas eve?

by pdmdanny Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:52 am
I'll realy look forward to that week then :lol: :lol: This weeks killer climb is a bit tame so any of the above should easy get in. Take my picture climbing it if they want to see proper pain.

by like my bike Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:44 am
19/11 or 10/12 ok by me ! is there a concensus from others?

Just when you thought you'd found a hard climb PM finds something harder! Although White Horse bank is pretty tough so its between Blakey Ridge or White Horse Bank.

Rob any comments on routes and cafes?

Will fix the date and climb by end of next week

A J

by Rob Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:38 pm
Sneck Yate is definitely the hardest in that corner of the Moors - forget White Horse; that's for sissies! If you want to do Sneck Yate then I'd suggest out via Tollerton, Easingwold, Coxwold, Kilburn, Sutton, Boltby, up the bank then round through Hawnby to the cafe in Helmesley. Back via Ampleforth. Its a fantastic ride, all of it. But really Andy - your idea - your decision - can't do this by committee!

Suggest 19/11 - strike while the iron is hot!

R
by mal Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:56 pm
1. I thought I did OK on my first Sunday ride week before last.
2. Last Sunday I couldn't get out but by coincidence went to Pateley on my own on Saturday so I'm keeping in the spirit of things.
3. I'm planning to get out this Sunday.
4. Please don't frighten me with talk of all those roads with multiple map chevrons: I've still to manage the art of walking up hills in cleats, and whilst my youth is a long way back nightmares of those climbs still haunt me.
5. If it is the 19th and the weather's not too bad and you're prepared to wait at the top for me I'm game.
6. If I manage to ride all the way up whichever killer is chosen I'll get the teas in (but not the food - I've seen what you lot can put away)
malcolm c
by Rob Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:15 pm
mal wrote:1. I thought I did OK on my first Sunday ride week before last.
2. Last Sunday I couldn't get out but by coincidence went to Pateley on my own on Saturday so I'm keeping in the spirit of things.
3. I'm planning to get out this Sunday.
4. Please don't frighten me with talk of all those roads with multiple map chevrons: I've still to manage the art of walking up hills in cleats, and whilst my youth is a long way back nightmares of those climbs still haunt me.
5. If it is the 19th and the weather's not too bad and you're prepared to wait at the top for me I'm game.
6. If I manage to ride all the way up whichever killer is chosen I'll get the teas in (but not the food - I've seen what you lot can put away)
malcolm c

Wehey - that's the spirit!

Don't worry we'll be busy with the defribulator (spelling?) at the top so won't mind waiting in the least!