Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:39 pm
Any ideas boys and girls?

Last year at the summer solstice we did Yorkshire Alps, the year before it was Spurn Head. Any suggestions for something different?

In the early 90's the CTC used to run something called the John Hessle Memorial. The idea was to ride down the side of Ullswater at sunrise. To do this we left York at 1900 on the Saturday evening riding out via Settle and Kendal then over Kirkstone Pass and back via Penrith, Kirkby Stephen and Hawes getting back to York at Tea time on Sunday. About 230 miles as I remember. I'd have to get the maps out and polish the route somewhat.

Andy Stanforth for one is quite keen on the above.

While I'm game to lead/organise it I'm a little concerned that we're just making stuff harder and harder - what would we do in 2008?

That said, the above is not as hard as you'd first think. For a start you get the night-time stretch over with while you're still reasonably fresh. We could arrange a middle of the night stop in a field somewhere with a BBQ. Then hopefully pick up a tailwind home. We could simply arrange it as a clubrun, maybe invite the CTC group along, or we could go the full hog and do it as an Audax (its almost a 400k and would therefore attract a reasonable entry).

Feel free to tell me I've lost the plot...... :wink:

by Arthur Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:39 pm
I remember being told about that when I was in the CTC. Sounds very epic!

by BroomWagon Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:02 pm
Blimey 230 miles. This year there is a 300+km Audax setting off from York, which I'm thinking I'll do, 188 miles will be challenging enough for me.

I've always fancied riding St Bees Head to Whitby via Hardknott and Wrynose, catch the car ferry across Windermere to Bowness, possibly ride Buttertubs and stop at the the Copper Kettle at Reeth for lunch. I plan to do this in 07 anyway on my own if needs be, but it would make a good club coast to coast challenge. Of course getting to St Bees head and then back from Whitby would be an issue, but perhaps we could hire a mini bus? We'd need a driver too.

Totally off the point though, club subs are due about now? How much and who to?

by BroomWagon Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:23 pm
This year there is a 300+km Audax setting off from York,

Oops sorry we're still in 06, I meant next year...doh.

by Rob Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:45 am
I've had one or two people suggest a coast to coast ride. A very quick quote from (the reassuringly named) Thrifty Van Hire gives a cost of £250 for the weekend for a minibus. Assume the same for a tranny van to carry the bikes. So, if we had 10 riders (?) that could be £70ea including petrol, plus one night in a hostel, say £25....
This is probably prohibitive, but could do 4 cars, three riders each plus one driver (who?) then we could be looking at 300miles per car (@15p/mile = £45) - divide by three, add the hostel and its looking better. Am sure we could do the bus cheaper with somebody's contacts, but based on the above as a starting point could I have some indication of how many interested? And when?

I'll assume silence is non-consent for the Ullswater ride!

Other ideas suggested that I wouldn't mind some feedback on before I stick them in the calendar:

Yorkshire Alps again
Spurn Head again
Holme Moss (difficult route to avoid the traffic, but could be possible with some quality research - would need to go Spring before traffic builds up)
Dales Grimpeur
All the passes (a la Fred Whitton). Could do on a long weekend - riding out and back.....

We also have Tan Hill and 3 Bridges, so plenty to go at.

Anything else?
by Helen Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm
I like the idea of the coast to coast ride but might not be able to come.
Ideas for a day ride include Sandsend. On one ride with Karl we managed a return route which went up Rosedale Chimney. We could also do the official or our own version of the hilly imperial.